Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Gopal Nayak <gn...@mcfadyen.com> on 2016/04/05 18:30:06 UTC

Design and Integration questions on OFBiz

Hi OFBiz Dev Team,

Brief background: We, McFadyen Solutions are trying to integrate our Oracle eCommerce Application with OFBiz OMS services. We would be using the REST API services exposed by OFBiz to create orders in OFBiz from the eCommerce application.
We also want to integrate credit card authorization for post-auth purpose from OFBiz.

We have some questions on the integrations which we could not find in the documentation provided on the site:

1) Since OFBiz has fulfillment features, when an item is shipped, how and where should the integration happen so that OFBiz application gets the "shipped" event?

2) How do we integrate with the warehouse which would tell us when item is shipped?

3) When any changes related to Order are made in OFBiz application, how can we extend the OFBiz application to pass those change events to any external system(eg. the Oracle eCommerce Application in this case). How do we get a handle on the change event and what the change was?

4) Once we update the status of the order to "Shipped" in OFBiz, how should we trigger the post-auth on the credit card for funds capture?

Please provide pointers on the above questions. It would really help us in doing a successful integration between the Oracle eCommerce Application and OfBiz application framework

All help in highly appreciated.

Thanks
-Gopal.
GOPAL

NAYAK

[McFadyen Solutions]<http://mcfadyen.com/>
eBusiness Integrators
Offices in the US and India
Specializing in eCommerce, Content Management & Social Media

http://www.mcfadyen.com<http://mcfadyen.com/>
[McFadyen Solutions on LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/company/mcfadyen-solutions>[McFadyen Solutions on Twitter]<https://twitter.com/mcfadyen_solns>[McFadyen Solutions on Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/McFadyenConsulting>

Delivery Lead / Sr. ATG Architect
gnayak@mcfadyen.com<ma...@mcfadyen.com>
tel 972.381.2721  |  cell 210.863.5564   |   fax 703.821.4005
6860 Dallas Pkwy, STE 219, Plano, TX 75024

Re: Design and Integration questions on OFBiz

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.
Hi Narayanan,

The approach you are following is good i.e. not to change any existing
implementation instead doing extension as required. Just to give one add-on
information on managing customization, here
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/Addressing+Custom+Requirements+In+OFBiz>
is a document that will guide you for the best practices for addressing any
custom requirement.

Please find rest of the details inline:

Best regards,

Pranay Pandey
HotWax Systems
http://www.hotwaxsystems.com/
skype: pranay.pandey
cell: +91 982.603.5576

On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:54 AM, Narayanan Ramachandran <
nramachandran@mcfadyen.com> wrote:

> Hi Pranay,
>

> Thanks a lot for your quick reply.
>

> This is specific to Question No. 3 below.
>

> So, let me make the question more specific:
>

> (i)                We are changing the order status, which would be
> invoking any out of the box logic which you have in Ofbiz.

You can have look varous triggers (ECAs) written on service
"changeOrderItemStatus" and "changeOrderStatus" in
applications/order/servicedef/secas.xml.

> (ii)              We don’t want to touch that. That part should work as
> it is.

Good to know that.

> (iii)             But we want to do some post processing. Sending the
> order object to another system, (to update order or commerce item status).

It depends on the integration type you want to have.
You can define API(If you don't already have one) in your system where you
want to import and processing as it's done in OFBiz. This way whenever an
order placed or any change is made you can make calls to your system
through API based on details expected specific method being called.

For this definitely you will need to write a custom service in OFBiz
without touching anything in OOTB impelementation i.e. in your hot-deploy
component and you can call that as needed, as trigger basically. This
service will take care of calling the required service from your system to
import changes.

> (iv)             Could you please guide, how exactly we should do this?

Please refer details given for last point.

> (v)              Can we subscribe for some events or something.

I don't actually understand this point. Please elaborate.

> (vi)             FYI.We don’t want to touch the Out of the box ofbiz
> functionality. We need to extend it.

Very good to know that, please refer the document link I have given in this
email for best practices for addressing custom requirements in OFBiz.
Towards the end of the document you will also find link to other good
document on How to Extend an existing component in customized application
<https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/OFBIZ/FAQ+-+Tips+-+Tricks+-+Cookbook+-+HowTo#FAQ-Tips-Tricks-Cookbook-HowTo-ExtendExistingComponent>
.

HTH.

Posted by Pranay Pandey <pr...@hotwaxsystems.com>.