Posted to user-java@ibatis.apache.org by "Trenton D. Adams" <tr...@athabascau.ca> on 2009/08/18 07:56:30 UTC

micro version JVM support

Hi Guys,

I was very surprised to find out that 2.3.0 was the last version that supported Java 1.4.2, and yet the latest version is only 4 micro versions above 2.3.0, sitting at 2.3.4.  Why would iBatis change something so major, in a micro version?  I would have expected that iBatis would have at the very least, moved to 2.4, before declaring Java 1.4.2 unsupported.  Even if that's the ONLY change, it is worth a minor version change.

Is this going to happen again, when the next JVM comes out?

Thanks.

Trenton D. Adams
Systems Analyst/Web Software Engineer
Navy Penguins at your service!
Athabasca University
(780) 675-6195
:wq!

__
---

Re: micro version JVM support

Posted by Clinton Begin <cl...@gmail.com>.
We gave a lot of notice, warning and time to react. There's sections
of the website dedicated to old releases.

You are possibly the one person who disagrees, whereas there were
hundreds who were asking for certain levels of support for generics
and enums.  It has been our policy for years to support current
versions of the jdk, which usually means Current and Current - 1.  If
sun gets 2 JDK releases out in the lifetime of iBATIS 3,  we'll likely
drop support for up to 2 JDK versions (depending on their eol policy).

If you've now sent two emails just because of our version numbering
approach, please consider the point taken.  However somehow I can't
believe you'd be any happier if it was called 2.4, as practically
speaking you'd be in the exact same position, minus two characters.

Clinton

On 2009-08-17, Trenton D. Adams <tr...@athabascau.ca> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> I was very surprised to find out that 2.3.0 was the last version that
> supported Java 1.4.2, and yet the latest version is only 4 micro versions
> above 2.3.0, sitting at 2.3.4.  Why would iBatis change something so major,
> in a micro version?  I would have expected that iBatis would have at the
> very least, moved to 2.4, before declaring Java 1.4.2 unsupported.  Even if
> that's the ONLY change, it is worth a minor version change.
>
> Is this going to happen again, when the next JVM comes out?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Trenton D. Adams
> Systems Analyst/Web Software Engineer
> Navy Penguins at your service!
> Athabasca University
> (780) 675-6195
> :wq!
>
> __
>     This communication is intended for the use of the recipient to whom it
>     is addressed, and may contain confidential, personal, and or privileged
>     information. Please contact us immediately if you are not the intended
>     recipient of this communication, and do not copy, distribute, or take
>     action relying on it. Any communications received in error, or
>     subsequent reply, should be deleted or destroyed.
> ---

Sent from my mobile device

Re: micro version JVM support

Posted by Brandon Goodin <br...@gmail.com>.
It depends on whether another significant version of the JVM ever comes out.
In the current state of Java. It is unlikely that 6 or 7 (or 8) are going to
have any significant features that will compel us to upgrade. But, who
knows... once 6 hits its end of life... we may drop support in a micro
version. Next time we'll try to remember to do it in a minor version.
A couple things i will suggest to help you avoid being too surprised. First,
have a good suite of unit tests. Secondly, if your software is dependent on
1.4 make sure your IDE is using the 1.4 compiler during development. You
will find out pretty quickly that a jar is not 1.4 compatible and avoid any
major error during an upgrade.
Thanks,
Brandon