Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@hyperreal.org> on 1997/12/08 23:38:41 UTC

URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid

Very cool - I think I'm going to set something like this up.

	Brian

>From: Duane Wessels <we...@nlanr.net>
>To: www@FreeBSD.ORG
>cc: kostas@nlanr.net
>Subject: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid
>Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 13:55:57 -0700
>Sender: owner-freebsd-www@FreeBSD.ORG
>
>Hello FreeBSD folks--
>
>We (Squid developers) have recently been tinkering with URN support
>in the Squid cache.  We're not doing anything really sophisticated
>yet.  We think a good use of URNs is automatic redirection to
>a close mirror site.  We are asking if you would like to help us
>out by installing a simple CGI script on  your server.  Squid would
>use this CGI script to turn a URN for frebsd.org into a list of URLs.
>
>For more details, see http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/urn-support.html,
>or please us for clarification.
>
>Duane W.
>--
>wessels@nlanr.net                               Think Globally, Cache
Locally.

"it's a big world, with lots of records to play."-sig   brian@hyperreal.org

Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Di...@jrc.it>.
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> Brian Behlendorf wrote:
> >
> > Very cool - I think I'm going to set something like this up.
>
> Nifty.
>
> But things are not as cool as they could be. Click on a URN in Netscape,
> and it tells you to use a proxy for URN support. We ought to be able to
> build this into Apache, but if the browsers won't send a URN request,
> we're stuffed. Sigh.

Yup, this is what we did; ties in nicey into the proxyserver as a separat
module. THe only catch is that the BIND version you link it against needs
NAPTR and SRV support.

DW.
> Cheers, >
> Ben.
>
> --
> Ben Laurie            |Phone: +44 (181) 735 0686|Apache Group member
> Freelance Consultant  |Fax:   +44 (181) 735 0689|http://www.apache.org
> and Technical Director|Email: ben@algroup.co.uk |Apache-SSL author
> A.L. Digital Ltd,     |http://www.algroup.co.uk/Apache-SSL
> London, England.      |"Apache: TDG" http://www.ora.com/catalog/apache

http://cils.ceo.org                         http://enrm.ceo.org
dirkx@technologist.com                     Dirk.vanGulik@jrc.it
+39 332 78 0014       +39 332 78 9549       fax +39 332 78 9185
ISEI/ESBA;                     The Center For Earth Observation
Joint Research Centre of the European Communities, Ispra, Italy

Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.
Dirk-Willem van Gulik wrote:

> On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > But things are not as cool as they could be. Click on a URN in Netscape,
> > and it tells you to use a proxy for URN support. We ought to be able to
> > build this into Apache, but if the browsers won't send a URN request,
> > we're stuffed. Sigh.
> >
> Atually, due to the way URNs work, it as perfectly possible to 'hide' the
> URN's behind the webserve wehn a not URN aware client/proxy comes a long
> to fetch; i.e. the entire resolution is done by the last knowledgable
> prxoxy.

That's no good. I have no proxies, knowledgeable or otherwise, between
me and anything.

Cheers,

Ben.

Re: URNs, Mirror sites, and Squid

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Di...@jrc.it>.
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Ben Laurie wrote:

> But things are not as cool as they could be. Click on a URN in Netscape,
> and it tells you to use a proxy for URN support. We ought to be able to
> build this into Apache, but if the browsers won't send a URN request,
> we're stuffed. Sigh.

Atually, due to the way URNs work, it as perfectly possible to 'hide' the
URN's behind the webserve wehn a not URN aware client/proxy comes a long
to fetch; i.e. the entire resolution is done by the last knowledgable
prxoxy.

Dw.

Posted by Ben Laurie <be...@algroup.co.uk>.

Posted by Dirk-Willem van Gulik <Di...@jrc.it>.
On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Very cool - I think I'm going to set something like this up.

Brian,

As one of the URN folks and as one of the earliest implementors, feel free
to ask for any help; we have lots of scripts, libraries and the lot here
at ceo, as most our web systems are based on URN tech. Be aware though
that thee is still some controversy (or technical trouble) when it comes
to the actual resolution step. And I also think that not everyone in the
URN working group is completely thrilled by some of the syntax choises and
scaling aspects of what sometimes is called an URN, but behaves more tlike
a URL on steroids.

What is it you had in mind ?

Dw.

Duane Wessels <we...@nlanr.net>