Posted to user@commons.apache.org by "Radel, Ted" <Te...@adm.com> on 2012/09/12 22:04:59 UTC

Licensing questions

We have a business requirement to support SFTP and FTPS transfers.  From looking at Commons, it would appear we would need Net, Logging, and VFS components.

Is the standard software license for Net, Logging, and VFS free for use in business/commercial/corporate environment?  Also is it possible to purchase a commercial license for the three products and how much would it cost?

Thanks,

Ted Radel
Client Server Programmer/Analyst III
ADM Alliance Nutrition Inc.
217-231-2415
Ted.Radel@adm.com<ma...@adm.com>

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message is intended for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by email reply.

Re: Licensing questions

Posted by Gary Gregory <ga...@gmail.com>.
Most current versions of Apache components are licensed under the Apache
Software Foundation 2.0 license:

https://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0.html

Older versions might still use the Apache Software Foundation 1.0 license.

AFAIK, there are no other Apache Software Foundation licenses.

Third parties, individuals, companies, can provide their own paid-for
support.

Gary

Blog: http://garygregory.wordpress.com
Home: http://garygregory.com/
Tweet! http://twitter.com/GaryGregory

Re: Licensing questions

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 12/09/2012 21:04, Radel, Ted wrote:
> We have a business requirement to support SFTP and FTPS transfers.
> From looking at Commons, it would appear we would need Net, Logging,
> and VFS components.
>
> Is the standard software license for Net, Logging, and VFS free for
> use in business/commercial/corporate environment?

All software developed by the Apache Software Foundation (ASF) is
provided at zero cost under the Apache License version 2. [1]

It is up to you to determine if that license meets your needs (I would
be surprised if it didn't but that is not my call to make).

> Also is it
> possible to purchase a commercial license for the three products and
> how much would it cost?

See above. The ASF does not sell licenses to use its software.

Support is available for these products via this users mailing list
although there are no guarantees as to the quality of the advice
provided nor are there any guarantees regarding response time.

Numerous third parties do sell support for ASF software. I do not know
off-hand who sells support for the products you are interested in.

HTH,

Mark

[1] http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0