Posted to users@maven.apache.org by "Frederick N. Brier" <fb...@multideck.com> on 2007/06/29 17:10:34 UTC

Generated Sources and IDEA

I am trying out AppFuse 2.0M5 on a new project.  I am trying to
integrate XmlBeans into the build.  I set the properties for the IDEA
Maven2 plugin.  When I run the IDEA target it does not include the
generated sources directory.    I open the Module Settings for the
project and the exclude is still there and the xmlbeans-source directory
is not tagged as a source directory.  The result is that IDEA is showing
errors in my code for unresolved references.  The following excerpts are
from my pom.xml:

         <plugin>
            <groupId>org.codehaus.mojo</groupId>
            <artifactId>xmlbeans-maven-plugin</artifactId>
            <executions>
               <execution>
                  <goals>
                     <goal>xmlbeans</goal>
                  </goals>
               </execution>
            </executions>
            <inherited>true</inherited>
            <configuration>
               <schemaDirectory>src/main/xsd</schemaDirectory>
            </configuration>
         </plugin>

         <plugin>
            <artifactId>maven-idea-plugin</artifactId>
            <version>2.0</version>
            <configuration>
               <downloadSources>true</downloadSources>
               <downloadJavadocs>true</downloadJavadocs>
               <dependenciesAsLibraries>true</dependenciesAsLibraries>
               <useFullNames>false</useFullNames>
            </configuration>
         </plugin>

The latest version of the IDEA plugin listed on the plugin web page is
1.7 [http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/idea/downloads.html].
Yet the version 2.0 generated by AppFuse works fine..

       <dependency>
          <groupId>xmlbeans</groupId>
          <artifactId>xbean</artifactId>
          <version>2.2.0</version>
          <scope>compile</scope>
       </dependency>

In the appropriate places.  For some reason using version 2.3.0 does not
fetch the .jars, but that is another issue.

I added the generated sources directory for JavaDoc:

         <plugin>
            <configuration>

<sourcepath>${project.build.sourceDirectory};${project.build.directory}/xmlbeans-source</sourcepath>
               <links>
                  <link>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api</link>
                  <link>http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api</link>

<link>http://java.sun.com/javaee/javaserverfaces/1.1_01/docs/api</link>

<link>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/collections/apidocs-COLLECTIONS_3_0/</link>

<link>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/apidocs/</link>

<link>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/apidocs/</link>
                  <link>http://www.junit.org/junit/javadoc/</link>
                  <link>http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/</link>

<link>http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.2.0/reference/</link>
               </links>
            </configuration>
         </plugin>

And I set up the properties described on the IDEA plugin page
[http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/idea/properties.html] to
exclude the target directory and include the generated source directory.

      <!-- IDEA Settings.  Needed for XMLBeans -->
      <maven.idea.target.exclude>false</maven.idea.target.exclude>

<maven.idea.generated.source>${project.build.directory}/xmlbeans-source</maven.idea.generated.source>

I also tried specifying just "xmlbeans-source" for the
maven.idea.generated.source property, but that did not work either.  Any
suggestions?  Thank you!

Frederick N. Brier

Re: Generated Sources and IDEA

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.
Frederick N. Brier wrote:
> I followed the link you provided.  Please correct me if I am wrong, but
> the capability in Maven 1 IDEA plugin to turn off exclusion of the
> target directory tree is missing.

http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/idea-mojo.html#exclude
Seems to suggest that "target" is not excluded by default, but rather
"target/classes".

> So is the mechanism to mark the
> xmlbeans generated source directory as an IDEA source directory.  Unless
> the "wildcardResourcePatterns" is also supposed to be used for
> specifying source...?  Oh, and while I did not know that the properties
> to do so were not utilized in the 2.1 version, I was setting those
> properties in the properties section of the pom.xml.  Should I try and
> specify a different directory for the generated source that is outside
> of target?  Then try the wildcardResourcePatterns element?  Thank you.

I don't think wildcardResourcePatterns can be used for what you are
trying to to.

> Fred
>
> Dennis Lundberg wrote:
>> 2.1 is the latest version of maven-idea-plugin for Maven 2. Please
>> read the documentation for this version here:
>>
>>   http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-idea-plugin/
>>
>> You referenced properties in your first mail. Those only work in the
>> IDEA plugin for Maven 1. The Maven 2 plugin is configured *only* in
>> your pom.xml file. See the docs for more info on how to configure it.
>>
>> Frederick N. Brier wrote:
>>> Maven 2.0.6

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Generated Sources and IDEA

Posted by Edwin Punzalan <el...@gmail.com>.
The IDEA plugin is supposed to automatically remove the exclusion of the
target directory if any of the generated sources is located beneath it.  Its
in Jira: http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MIDEA-92.

Posted by "Frederick N. Brier" <fb...@multideck.com>.

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Frederick N. Brier wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> <link>http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/logging/apidocs/</link>
>>>                  <link>http://www.junit.org/junit/javadoc/</link>
>>>                  <link>http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/</link>
>>>
>>> <link>http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.2.0/reference/</link>
>>>               </links>
>>>            </configuration>
>>>         </plugin>
>>>
>>> And I set up the properties described on the IDEA plugin page
>>> [http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/idea/properties.html] to
>>> exclude the target directory and include the generated source directory.
>>>
>>>      <!-- IDEA Settings.  Needed for XMLBeans -->
>>>      <maven.idea.target.exclude>false</maven.idea.target.exclude>
>>>
>>> <maven.idea.generated.source>${project.build.directory}/xmlbeans-source</maven.idea.generated.source>
>>>

>>> I also tried specifying just "xmlbeans-source" for the
>>> maven.idea.generated.source property, but that did not work either.

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Generated Sources and IDEA

Posted by "Frederick N. Brier" <fb...@multideck.com>.
Maven 2.0.6

Posted by Dennis Lundberg <de...@apache.org>.

Frederick N. Brier wrote:
> [...]
>                  <link>http://www.junit.org/junit/javadoc/</link>
>                  <link>http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/</link>
>
> <link>http://xmlbeans.apache.org/docs/2.2.0/reference/</link>
>               </links>
>            </configuration>
>         </plugin>
>
> And I set up the properties described on the IDEA plugin page
> [http://maven.apache.org/maven-1.x/plugins/idea/properties.html] to
> exclude the target directory and include the generated source directory.
>
>      <!-- IDEA Settings.  Needed for XMLBeans -->
>      <maven.idea.target.exclude>false</maven.idea.target.exclude>
>
> <maven.idea.generated.source>${project.build.directory}/xmlbeans-source</maven.idea.generated.source>
>

> I also tried specifying just "xmlbeans-source" for the
> maven.idea.generated.source property, but that did not work either.  Any

Dennis Lundberg

Re: Generated Sources and IDEA

Posted by Dave Levitt <da...@gmail.com>.
And don't forget to vote for 'generated code support' in Idea [Jira
link is http://www.jetbrains.net/jira/browse/IDEABKL-2735 ]