Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Milanez, Marcus" <Ma...@diebold.com> on 2007/08/10 16:28:33 UTC

Define tomcat ports

Hi,

We need have two tomcat instances (different versions, 5.0.xx and
6.0.xx) running in the same server. We need it because we have some web
applications deployed in Tomcat 5 which don't start in Tomcat 6. We
won't have enough time to migrate all the applications to adhere some
Tomcat 6 issues, so we need this scenario for a while.

I would like to know whether there are port numbers restrictions, or I'm
free to configure any number I like...

Thanks!

Re: Define tomcat ports

Posted by Gregor Schneider <rc...@googlemail.com>.
afaik port 1 - 1024 are so-called privileged ports (at least in unix /
linux) which require superuser-right (root).

since it's not the best idea running tomcat as root, you'll be fine
choosing any port above 1024.

also, you should make sure not to choose a port that's already been taken.

in linux, a

netstat -lnp

will tell your which ports are no more available.

cheers

gregor
gpgp-fp: 79A84FA526807026795E4209D3B3FE028B3170B2

Re: Define tomcat ports

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Markus Schönhaber schrieb:

> Especially: if you want to run two Tomcat instances, you'll have to make
> sure that all ports one instance listens to are different from all ports
> the other (or any other application on the machine) listens to.

To phrase that more exactly: you can have to applications bind to the
same port number only if they bind to this port on different IP addresses.

Regards
  mks

Re: Define tomcat ports

Posted by Markus Schönhaber <ma...@schoenhaber.de>.
Milanez, Marcus schrieb:

> We need have two tomcat instances (different versions, 5.0.xx and
> 6.0.xx) running in the same server. We need it because we have some web
> applications deployed in Tomcat 5 which don't start in Tomcat 6. We
> won't have enough time to migrate all the applications to adhere some
> Tomcat 6 issues, so we need this scenario for a while.
>
> I would like to know whether there are port numbers restrictions, or I'm
> free to configure any number I like...

The actual values of the port numbers Tomcat is told to bind to don't
matter.
Nevertheless the "natural" restrictions apply. For example, no two
applications can bind to the same port, on unix-like systems you'll need
root privileges to bind to ports < 1024.

Especially: if you want to run two Tomcat instances, you'll have to make
sure that all ports one instance listens to are different from all ports
the other (or any other application on the machine) listens to. This
applies to all configured Connectors and the shutdown ports (unless you
use jsvc).

Regards
  mks