Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com> on 2009/01/13 08:40:06 UTC

answers to IPMC comments of Bluesky December pmc report

http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/December2008

IPMC comments:

   -

   jukka: Why the new server and web site? I don't seem to be able to access
   it (I'm in Switzerland).
   ->Because we can't put source code on our offical website
   http://incubator.apache.org/bluesky/,  and we want people to download the
   clean version code to help us
   check whether still there are code violate ASL. That's why we set up
   website at our school. And this address http://202.117.16.249 is an
   international address and should be
   visited from out net. Actually, the most important function of this site
   is to provide three version source code, anyone who can't access and want
   the code could write e-mail to
   me and i will send the source code to him.
   -

   clr: What does it mean "as soon as the code is granted by Apache
   community"?
   ->i mean as soon as "legalization of our code is ensured by Apache
   community." I'm sorry for the inconvenience that my pooor English had
   caused.

--
Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU

Fwd: answers to IPMC comments of Bluesky December pmc report

Posted by Samul Kevin <lo...@gmail.com>.
>   jukka: Why the new server and web site? I don't seem to be able to access
>   it (I'm in Switzerland).
>   ->Because we can't put source code on our offical website
>   http://incubator.apache.org/bluesky/,  and we want people to download
> the
>   clean version code to help us
>   check whether still there are code violate ASL. That's why we set up
>   website at our school. And this address http://202.117.16.249 is an
>   international address and should be
>   visited from out net. Actually, the most important function of this site
>   is to provide three version source code, anyone who can't access and want
>   the code could write e-mail to
>   me and i will send the source code to him.

The http://202.* website is a staging website where we can perform review of
bluesky material prior to it being brought into the ASF.  The bluesky
project originally contained a lot of LGPL/GPL code from various projects.
 The team has been making (slow and painful) progress reimplementing and
refactoring code to resolve the license issues.  Congratulations to the team
for their work so far...

   -

>   clr: What does it mean "as soon as the code is granted by Apache
>   community"?
>   ->i mean as soon as "legalization of our code is ensured by Apache
>   community." I'm sorry for the inconvenience that my pooor English had
>   caused.

I've done an initial review of the Bluesky code to make sure it is 'clean'
of legal issues.  No problems found so far, but I'm not quite ready to
declare it  clean. A bit more due diligence is needed.  When I am satisfied
that the code is clean, I'll direct the Bluesky team to complete the code
grant and we'll check the code into the ASF Bluesky repository.

We've almost cleared a MAJOR hurdle for bringing the Bluesky project to the
ASF.  Excising the GPL/LGPL code from Bluesky has been a major, multi month
effort and I sense that the effort is nearing completion.  My expectation
going forward ... after CNY (Chinese New Year),  thsi project will begin to
look more like a normal ASF project in incubation.

Regards
Bill (Bluesky Mentor)

Bowen Ma a.k.a Samul Kevin @ Bluesky Dev Team    XJTU

Re: answers to IPMC comments of Bluesky December pmc report

Posted by Bill Stoddard <wg...@gmail.com>.