Posted to dev@perl.apache.org by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com> on 2004/09/14 23:41:55 UTC

[OT] ++gmane (was Re: t\perl\ithreads.t failing on Win32)

Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de> writes:

> Gmane has nice threading (after a click on the subject) in the web
> interface, and also has all mailing lists as news feeds.

Gmane really rocks, especially since it nicely routes around
ezmlm's wackiness.  My only complaint with gmane is that it
doesn't handle cross-posting very well.

I wish all the public ASF lists had a gmane listing.

--
Joe Schaefer

Re: [OT] ++gmane (was Re: t\perl\ithreads.t failing on Win32)

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@sunstarsys.com>.
Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> writes:

> If someone could ask them to add at least those relevant
> to us that would be great.

IIRC gmane expects the request to come from the mailing
list's moderator (at least that was the case when I set
up apreq-dev@ a few years ago).  The form is here:

  http://www.gmane.org/subscribe.php

random tip- don't check the "Encrypt addresses" box.

> http://perl.apache.org/maillist/index.html

AFAICT the only mod-perl related groups currently available
on gmane are

gmane.comp.apache.mod-perl
gmane.comp.apache.mod-perl.devel
gmane.comp.apache.apreq

Posted by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org>.
Joe Schaefer wrote:
> Markus Wichitill <ma...@gmx.de> writes:
>

>>Gmane has nice threading (after a click on the subject) in the web
>>interface, and also has all mailing lists as news feeds.
>

> Gmane really rocks, especially since it nicely routes around
> ezmlm's wackiness.  My only complaint with gmane is that it
> doesn't handle cross-posting very well.

It *is* nice. I got it resolved finally.

Its search seems to be more limited though. Can't search just the
Subjects. So it gives false positives. But it's OK I guess since it
compensates by showing the context.

> I wish all the public ASF lists had a gmane listing.

If someone could ask them to add at least those relevant to us that would
be great.
http://perl.apache.org/maillist/index.html

and then submit the patch to include those archives for the above url
(notice that it's autogenerated). Thanks.