Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Suhail Ansari <ia...@gmail.com> on 2017/05/07 11:40:48 UTC

OpenOffice

Hi
     TheASF has lots of important projects such as Tomcat, Hadoop etc. I
think that TheASF should either work with the document foundation or donate
open office trademarks to the document foundation because you already have
big active communities working in various projects and new projects like
netbeans will be part of TheASF very soon, donating trademark to the
document foundation will allow you to focus on important projects like
netbeans, tomcat etc.

Suhail Ansari

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Suhail Ansari [mailto:iamsuhailansari@gmail.com]

>      TheASF has lots of important projects such as Tomcat,
> Hadoop etc. I
> think that TheASF should either work with the document
> foundation or donate
> open office trademarks to the document foundation

-1

The TDF has forked OpenOffice, not the ASF. OpenOffice is the original and not LibreOffice.

Greetings,
Jörg

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Dave <no...@tasit.net>.
Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
This implies that somehow the ASF, the foundation, allocates resources
towards projects regarding who works where. That's not the case.
It's not like "shutting down" AOO would result in the people
working on it to be "re-assigned" to work on anything else like
Tomcat or whatever, because that is not how the ASF is setup.
People were on what they want, not on what they are "told to"
by the ASF.

Re: ooowiki continuation

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Thorsten Behrens [mailto:thb@libreoffice.org]

> Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> > > If openoffice.info wants to be a stakeholder, we can
> certainly include
> > > you (or other reps) in the technical discussions.
> >
> > No thanks. de.openoffice.info is an independent forum.
> >
> Then I don't get what you're asking for - either you want to be part
> of a solution, which usually means participating - or other people do
> the work (and then are free to decide on directions)?

I did not ask for anything, I had made an offer. Not an offer for LibreOffice, but
for ooowiki.de.
Only the owner of ooowiki.de is part of the LO community and so I wrote on the LO
mailing list.

Jörg

Re: ooowiki continuation

Posted by Thorsten Behrens <th...@libreoffice.org>.
Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> > If openoffice.info wants to be a stakeholder, we can certainly include
> > you (or other reps) in the technical discussions.
>
> No thanks. de.openoffice.info is an independent forum.

Then I don't get what you're asking for - either you want to be part
of a solution, which usually means participating - or other people do
the work (and then are free to decide on directions)?

Cheers,

-- Thorsten

Re: ooowiki continuation (was: Re: OpenOffice)

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Simos Xenitellis [mailto:simos.lists@googlemail.com]

> The text there says:
> ... does not harm the reputation of The Document Foundation;...»

And this is not enough for me, because it can be arbitrarily interpreted.

For example, I was reproached in the forum de.openoffice.info I want to damage LibreOffice just because I said I see problems with the Wiki and would therefore offer help.

Excuse only the problem is too special for me to discuss it in English because I have some problems with the English language.

Jörg

Re: ooowiki continuation (was: Re: OpenOffice)

Posted by Simos Xenitellis <si...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 2:29 PM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

>> From: Simos Xenitellis [mailto:simos.lists@googlemail.com]
>
>> > Maybe I would also like to be a participant in the
>> LibreOffice Certification
>> > Program, but I am a free spirit and prerequisites such as a) in:
>> >
>> http://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/Certification/tdf-cer
>> tificationcodeofcond
>> > uct.pdf
>> >
>> > are unfortunately too political for me.
>>
>> There are four reasonable points in this PDF. Which one would make it
>> "too political" for you?
>
> I have written:
>
> "...I am a free spirit and prerequisites _such as a)_ in:..."
>
> And so I mean point a)

The text there says:

«Certified Professionals conduct the business and provide the services
in a manner
that does not harm the reputation of The Document Foundation;...»

Therefore, if you were a Certified Professional, you are expected *to
conduct the business* and *provide the services*
in a manner that does not harm the reputation of the TDF.

There would be a much deeper problem if a Certified Professional could
not contain themselves
*while* conducting the business and providing the services.

Simos

Re: ooowiki continuation (was: Re: OpenOffice)

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Simos Xenitellis [mailto:simos.lists@googlemail.com]

> > Maybe I would also like to be a participant in the
> LibreOffice Certification
> > Program, but I am a free spirit and prerequisites such as a) in:
> >
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/Certification/tdf-cer
> tificationcodeofcond
> > uct.pdf
> >
> > are unfortunately too political for me.
>
> There are four reasonable points in this PDF. Which one would make it
> "too political" for you?

I have written:

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
Hello Jörg,

I personally believe that the certificate policy is common business
phrasing. I think it is a good business style to talk positively or not at
all of organisations. You never know what relation ship these people are in.
And worse thing that can happen is that you damage your own renown. Just
think of our libre trolls. They have damaged libre office renown for me in
such a great extent that I do not want to support Libre Office project,
without some commitments from their side. And maybe that's true for them
too.

I would really like to see this spiral of fighting ends. I don't like the
trolls on our Mailing list, trying to steal our freedom, choice and fun.
A cooperation would be nice. The oowiki seems like a good neutral ground to
start.
I am not part of oowiki, but i would really appreciate if it is tryed to
normalize the relationship and not harden up (what's currently happening)
In the end it will only damage both projects.
And from the outside there is a whish that both projects improve their
relationship.

All the best
Peter

Simos Xenitellis <si...@googlemail.com> schrieb am Di., 9. Mai 2017,
08:24:

> On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 8:32 AM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>
> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> >> From: Thorsten Behrens [mailto:thb@libreoffice.org]
> >
> >> I think at the time of your posting, that topic was somewhat on
> >> hold/stalled. Being 2 months late to a discussion sometimes gets you
> >> no reaction, simply because noone has anything to add (you were
> >> already referencing the original libreoffice de-discuss thread).
> >
> > I think we both know that the reasons are others.
> >
> >> If openoffice.info wants to be a stakeholder, we can certainly include
> >> you (or other reps) in the technical discussions.
> >
> > No thanks. de.openoffice.info is an independent forum.
> >
> >> Perhaps an option to discuss further details would be the upcoming
> >> community meeting of the LibreOffice DE-project (probably on the
> >> weekend June 25th, location TBD)? Let me know if you'd like to be kept
> >> in the loop there.
> >
> > Thanks, but I'm working for Apache OpenOffice. For my voluntary work
> that is
> > enough for me.
> >
> > But please do not worry, professionally, I also provide support for
> LibreOffice.
> >
> > Maybe I would also like to be a participant in the LibreOffice
> Certification
> > Program, but I am a free spirit and prerequisites such as a) in:
> >
> http://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/Certification/tdf-certificationcodeofcond
> > uct.pdf
> >
> > are unfortunately too political for me.
>
> There are four reasonable points in this PDF. Which one would make it
> "too political" for you?
>
> Simos

Disclaimer: Diese Nachricht stammt aus einem Google Account. Ihre Antwort
wird in der Google Cloud Gespeichert und durch Google Algorythmen zwecks
werbeanaöysen gescannt. Es ist derzeit nicht auszuschließen das ihre
Nachricht auch durch einen NSA Mitarbeiter geprüft wird. Durch
kommunikation mit diesen Account stimmen Sie zu das ihre Mail, ihre
Kontaktdaten und die Termine die Sie mit mir vereinbaren online zu Google
konditionen in der Googlecloud gespeichert wird. Sollten sie dies nicht
wünschen kontaktieren sie mich bitte Umgehend um z.B. alternativen zu
verhandeln.

Re: ooowiki continuation (was: Re: OpenOffice)

Posted by Simos Xenitellis <si...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> From: Thorsten Behrens [mailto:thb@libreoffice.org]

> I think at the time of your posting, that topic was somewhat on
> hold/stalled. Being 2 months late to a discussion sometimes gets you
> no reaction, simply because noone has anything to add (you were
> already referencing the original libreoffice de-discuss thread).

I think we both know that the reasons are others.

> If openoffice.info wants to be a stakeholder, we can certainly include
> you (or other reps) in the technical discussions.

No thanks. de.openoffice.info is an independent forum.

> Perhaps an option to discuss further details would be the upcoming
> community meeting of the LibreOffice DE-project (probably on the
> weekend June 25th, location TBD)? Let me know if you'd like to be kept
> in the loop there.

Thanks, but I'm working for Apache OpenOffice. For my voluntary work that is
enough for me.

But please do not worry, professionally, I also provide support for LibreOffice.

Maybe I would also like to be a participant in the LibreOffice Certification
Program, but I am a free spirit and prerequisites such as a) in:
http://www.documentfoundation.org/assets/Certification/tdf-certificationcodeofcond
uct.pdf

are unfortunately too political for me.
imho: good support requires good professional knowledge, but not the uncritical
commitment to an organization.

greetings,
Jörg

ooowiki continuation (was: Re: OpenOffice)

Posted by Thorsten Behrens <th...@libreoffice.org>.
Jörg Schmidt wrote:
> I personally requested some cooperation of LO about www.ooowiki.de,
> the reaction at LO was zero, see:
> https://listarchives.libreoffice.org/de/discuss/msg20541.html

Hi Jörg,

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.

> For all practical purposes, TDF & LibO ignore both AOo and ASF.

Which demonstrates a no interest in Cooperation attitude. Thank you for
pointing that out again.

>If they stop declaring us dead, you made a step in the direction of
> cooperation.
>
> The most noise about AOo being dead comes from ASF & AOo.

lol. This has nothing to do with the requirements that would be needed for
a cooperation.
And that was the request.

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by toki <to...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Patricia Shanahan <pa...@acm.org>.
The OpenOffice name is probably the best asset we have for attracting
volunteers.

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Peter Kovacs <pe...@posteo.de>.

Posted by esh1907 <es...@gmail.com>.

Re: OpenOffice

Posted by Peter Kovacs <le...@gmail.com>.
-1, for donation of Marketing right. Thats not helping anyone. And will
only confuse people. Not everybody is happy with the TDF on User side.
+1 for Cooperation. But imho TDF is not interested.
We are openly decleared dead. This is a clear sign that the Open Document
Foundation is not interested in any cooperation.

So you should start your demands at their side. If they stop declearing us
dead you made a step in the direction of cooperation.
However to be clear the way to stop the stupidity is a long road from there.

Good Luck.

All the best
Peter

Re: OpenOffice