Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de> on 2012/07/12 10:24:52 UTC

Re: Experiences with CAS Editor and large documents

  Hi,

do you have an opinion about a preference to deactivate the annotation
concept in the CAS Editor?

Peter

On 25.05.2012 15:20, Peter Klügl wrote:
>  Hi,
>
> Jörn, do you have yet an idea how to improve the CAS Editor performance?
>
> If at all or until we find a solution, I would propose to add an
> option in the preferences to deactive the complete Eclipse annotation
> concept in the CAS Editor. We would loose the nice highlighting, but
> we would still have the selection concept to identify UIMA annotations.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Peter
>

> On 04.05.2012 16:30, Jörn Kottmann wrote:
>> On 05/04/2012 04:25 PM, Thilo Goetz wrote:
>>> I have not looked at the code, but just in case: I have found
>>> that from a performance perspective, it is very important to
>>> add JFace annotations in batches.  You're probably doing that
>>> already...
>>
>> Yes, that was changed in many places and made operations
>> which where done for many annotations possible, before that deleting
>> something could easily take a couple of 10 seconds, or even minutes.
>>
>> There are certain things which can still be done, and might be necessary
>> for very large CASes, e.g using virtual tables.
>>
>> I hope that profiling it can give us more insight about what is slow.
>>
>> Jörn

Dipl.-Inf. Peter Klügl
Universität Würzburg        Tel.: +49-(0)931-31-86741
Am Hubland                  Fax.: +49-(0)931-31-86732
97074 Würzburg              mail: pkluegl@informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de
      http://www.is.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/en/staff/kluegl_peter/

Re: Experiences with CAS Editor and large documents

Posted by Peter Klügl <pk...@uni-wuerzburg.de>.
  I don't need it for the TextMarker release. If I need to deactivate it
for some projects, I can do it in my workspace for now. So no hurry at all.

My thought was to add such a preference, as for the loading the CAS
leniently. However, if there is a possibility that we get the
annotations working with large CAS, I'd really prefer that.

Peter

Posted by Jörn Kottmann <ko...@gmail.com>.