Posted to dev@joshua.apache.org by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com> on 2017/10/16 13:06:57 UTC

problems with LM loading

Hi all,

I am trying to use the ES-EN language pack from our "Language Packs" page
with Joshua 6.1, but when I get to load the two language models I get an IO
execption.
The config looks like:

feature-function = LanguageModel -lm_type berkeleylm -lm_order 4 -lm_file
model/lm.berkeleylm
feature-function = Distortion
feature-function = LanguageModel -lm_type berkeleylm -lm_order 4 -lm_file
model/en.giga.twopercent.4.lm.berkeleylm
feature-function = PhrasePenalty

and I get the following:

java.lang.RuntimeException: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to
instantiate feature function 'LanguageModel -lm_type berkeleylm -lm_order 4
-lm_file model/lm.berkeleylm'!

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to instantiate feature
function 'LanguageModel -lm_type berkeleylm -lm_order 4 -lm_file
model/lm.berkeleylm'!

at
org.apache.joshua.decoder.Decoder.initializeFeatureFunctions(Decoder.java:642)

at org.apache.joshua.decoder.Decoder.initialize(Decoder.java:394)

at org.apache.joshua.decoder.Decoder.<init>(Decoder.java:128)

Caused by: java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: null

at
sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.java:62)

at

at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:422)

at
org.apache.joshua.decoder.Decoder.initializeFeatureFunctions(Decoder.java:638)

... 58 common frames omitted

Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Something wrong with I/O.

at edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.ArpaLmReader.parseHeader(ArpaLmReader.java:114)

at edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.ArpaLmReader.parse(ArpaLmReader.java:76)

at edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.ArpaLmReader.parse(ArpaLmReader.java:18)

at edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.LmReaders.firstPassCommon(LmReaders.java:549)

at edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.LmReaders.firstPassArpa(LmReaders.java:526)

at
edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.LmReaders.readArrayEncodedLmFromArpa(LmReaders.java:171)

at
edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.io.LmReaders.readArrayEncodedLmFromArpa(LmReaders.java:151)

at
org.apache.joshua.decoder.ff.lm.berkeley_lm.LMGrammarBerkeley.<init>(LMGrammarBerkeley.java:94)

at
org.apache.joshua.decoder.ff.lm.LanguageModelFF.initializeLM(LanguageModelFF.java:158)

at
org.apache.joshua.decoder.ff.lm.LanguageModelFF.<init>(LanguageModelFF.java:132)

Any hints on what I could be doing wrong ? Encoding ?
Did anyone else experience such issue ?

BTW I am running this from within a Java application, Decoder is
initialized as follows:

JoshuaConfiguration configuration = new JoshuaConfiguration();
    configuration.readConfigFile(pathToJoshuaConfig);
    configuration.use_structured_output = true;
    Decoder decoder = new Decoder(configuration, pathToJoshuaConfig);

Regards,
Tommaso

Re: problems with LM loading

Posted by Tommaso Teofili <to...@gmail.com>.
the file indeed exists.
less mode/lm.berkelylm warns about a binary file, the first bytes follow:

<AC><ED>^@^Esr^@-edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.ArrayEncodedProbBackoffLm
^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^A^B^@^DJ^@^HnumWordsZ^@^PuseScratchValuesL^@^Cmapt^@
"Ledu/berkeley/nl

p/lm/map/NgramMap;L^@^Fvaluest^@
6Ledu/berkeley/nlp/lm/values/ProbBackoffValueContainer;xr^@
:edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.AbstractArrayEncodedNgramLanguageM

odel^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^A^B^@^@xr^@
.edu.berkeley.nlp.lm.AbstractNgramLanguageModel^@^@^@^@^@^@^@^A^B^@^CI^@^G
lmOrderF^@^NoovWordLogProbL^@^KwordIndexer

I am not doing anything specific in the code, just instantiate the Decoder
from the config file, which comes from the language pack, is there any
option to explicitly tell that it's a binary and not a text ARPA file ?

Thanks Kellen and Matt for your prompt replies.

Regards,
Tommaso

Re: problems with LM loading

Posted by Matt Post <po...@cs.jhu.edu>.