Posted to common-dev@hadoop.apache.org by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com> on 2015/01/26 20:55:22 UTC

Re: Patch review process

Let's move this over to common-dev@, general@ is normally used for project
announcements rather than discussion topics.

I'd like to summarize a few things mentioned on the private@ thread,
related to streamlining the code submission process.

- Gerrit was brought up again, as it has in the past, as something that
could make the actual process of reviewing and committing a lot easier.
This would be especially helpful for small patches, where the mechanics of
committing can take longer than reviewing the patch.
- There were also concerns about forking discussions between JIRA and
Gerrit. This has been an issue in Spark, and we'd like to keep discussions
and issue tracking centralized.

- Some talk about how to improve precommit. Right now it takes hours to run
the unit tests, which slows down patch iterations. One solution is running
tests in parallel (and even distributed). Previous distributed experiments
have done a full unit test run in a couple minutes, but it'd be a fair
amount of work to actually make this production ready.
- Also mention of putting in place more linting and static analysis.
Automating this will save reviewer time.

Best,
Andrew

Re: Patch review process

Posted by "Colin P. McCabe" <cm...@apache.org>.
I really do not think it's worth looking at Reviewboard at
reviews.apache.org again.  We have used it in the past, and it  has
all the downsides of gerrit and none of the upsides.  And some extra
downsides of its own.

* Splits the conversation into two places
* No way to search the split out conversation (no sophisticated query
language like JQL)
* An additional thing that new contributors have to learn
* A barrier to non-coders (since they don't post patches and so can't
contribute to the discussion there).
* Clunky UI (in my opinion)
* Requires manually filling in a long HTML form to upload a patch, or
using a fragile uploader script that often breaks when the reviewboard
software is updated
* No way to press a button and have a patch committed... the patch
commit process is just as time-consuming as it is now.

Sorry, but -1.

I like the Crucible idea, though.

If we want to investigate alternatives to Crucible, how about looking
at gerrit?  It has 1-click commits, integration with git (so that
posting a patch is just a single "git push"), and the potential to
mirror comments to JIRA (or at least someone said it might?)

Colin

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
Filed INFRA-9071 to update reviews.apache.org working with the hadoop git
repo. Let's see if that works out.

Looks like Crucible is no go from infra -
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-8430.

wrote:

> [...]
> > contributions.
> > > For patches that require knowledge of a specific subsystem a
> > > background+design note would be a good start.
> > > - Eliminate CHANGES.txt. This came up on the dev list not too long ago
> > and
> > > IIRC Allen did a PoC.
> > >
> > > I am not optimistic about Gerrit from past experience. It does help
> gate
> > > checkins and enforce pre-commit checks (good). I did not find it
> > > user-friendly and it will be an additional hurdle for contributors to
> > > understand (bad).
> > >
> > > Andrew, can the community build on your distributed pre-commit work to
> > make
> > > it production ready?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Arpit
> > >

> > > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Andrew Wang <

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

> > of
> > > committing can take longer than reviewing the patch.
> > > - There were also concerns about forking discussions between JIRA and
> > > Gerrit. This has been an issue in Spark, and we'd like to keep
> > discussions
> > > and issue tracking centralized.
> > >
> > > - Some talk about how to improve precommit. Right now it takes hours to
> > run
> > > the unit tests, which slows down patch iterations. One solution is
> > running
> > > tests in parallel (and even distributed). Previous distributed
> > experiments
> > > have done a full unit test run in a couple minutes, but it'd be a fair
> > > amount of work to actually make this production ready.
> > > - Also mention of putting in place more linting and static analysis.
> > > Automating this will save reviewer time.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Sangjin Lee <sj...@gmail.com>.
As popular as the github workflow is, there are some things I'm not a big
fan of. For one, the review tends to cause a flurry of separate
notifications as opposed to a single atomic set of comments.

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.
> [...]

> > contributions.
> > > For patches that require knowledge of a specific subsystem a
> > > background+design note would be a good start.
> > > - Eliminate CHANGES.txt. This came up on the dev list not too long ago
> > and
> > > IIRC Allen did a PoC.
> > >
> > > I am not optimistic about Gerrit from past experience. It does help
> gate
> > > checkins and enforce pre-commit checks (good). I did not find it
> > > user-friendly and it will be an additional hurdle for contributors to
> > > understand (bad).
> > >
> > > Andrew, can the community build on your distributed pre-commit work to
> > make
> > > it production ready?
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Arpit
> > >

> > > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Andrew Wang <

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Ravi Prakash <ra...@ymail.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > of
> > > committing can take longer than reviewing the patch.
> > > - There were also concerns about forking discussions between JIRA and
> > > Gerrit. This has been an issue in Spark, and we'd like to keep
> > discussions
> > > and issue tracking centralized.
> > >
> > > - Some talk about how to improve precommit. Right now it takes hours to
> > run
> > > the unit tests, which slows down patch iterations. One solution is
> > running
> > > tests in parallel (and even distributed). Previous distributed
> > experiments
> > > have done a full unit test run in a couple minutes, but it'd be a fair
> > > amount of work to actually make this production ready.
> > > - Also mention of putting in place more linting and static analysis.
> > > Automating this will save reviewer time.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> > of
> > > committing can take longer than reviewing the patch.
> > > - There were also concerns about forking discussions between JIRA and
> > > Gerrit. This has been an issue in Spark, and we'd like to keep
> > discussions
> > > and issue tracking centralized.
> > >
> > > - Some talk about how to improve precommit. Right now it takes hours to
> > run
> > > the unit tests, which slows down patch iterations. One solution is
> > running
> > > tests in parallel (and even distributed). Previous distributed
> > experiments
> > > have done a full unit test run in a couple minutes, but it'd be a fair
> > > amount of work to actually make this production ready.
> > > - Also mention of putting in place more linting and static analysis.
> > > Automating this will save reviewer time.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Chris Nauroth <cn...@hortonworks.com>.

wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > - Some talk about how to improve precommit. Right now it takes hours to
> run
> > the unit tests, which slows down patch iterations. One solution is
> running
> > tests in parallel (and even distributed). Previous distributed
> experiments
> > have done a full unit test run in a couple minutes, but it'd be a fair
> > amount of work to actually make this production ready.
> > - Also mention of putting in place more linting and static analysis.
> > Automating this will save reviewer time.
> >
> > Best,
> > Andrew
> >
> > On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Ted Yu <yu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > In some cases, contributor responded to review comments and attached
> > > patches addressing the comments.
> > >
> > > Later on, there was simply no response to the latest patch - even with

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Andrew Wang <an...@cloudera.com>.

> Andrew, can the community build on your distributed pre-commit work to make
> it production ready?

I'm happy to share it if someone is willing to take it across the finish
line. I think it'd be about two weeks of work full-time. I've already
cleaned it up some, but it still requires checking out a couple forked
repos, and it's strung together with a set of bash scripts.

I see the biggest challenges as the following though:
- Need to write a faster Swarming client. Running the unit tests just takes
5 mins, but using the Python client to package up all the dependencies
takes 15-20 minutes.
- It needs to be deployed on Apache infra, integrated with Jenkins JUnit
reporting / artifact archiving, and then hooked up to the precommit
scripts. I also worry about the ongoing maintenance cost. Brock set up
something like this for Hive, and he had a hard time with flaky EC2
instances.

One additional upside though is this same framework should work for other
mavenized projects too. There's nothing Hadoop specific in it right now, so
HBase, Solr, etc could leverage it too.

Best,
Andrew

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Arpit Agarwal <aa...@hortonworks.com>.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE

Re: Patch review process

Posted by Steve Loughran <st...@hortonworks.com>.
I'm moving this all to common-dev@ as general is more where announcements
go than anything else.

I think too many patches are falling by the wayside. It takes a lot of time
and effort to get patches in, small patches that aren't viewed as critical
tend to atrophy: lost in "patch-availalble" state, nobody tracking their
status, just someone left feeling neglected. Yet many of those patches help
the codebase: fix minor issues, improve the readability of the code, keep
that code in sync with changing dependencies (e.g. an evolving guava). Just
chasing down @Deprecated warnings would be a start.

To a committer, those small patches are work: there's still the overhead of
looking at them, and the manual effort of the merge which is constant for
all patches (update/reset your branch, apply, test, CHANGES.TXT, commit,
cherry-pick, push). Unless you view them as critical its just too much
effort for the minor stuff.

And as a developer of the small things, you get the other side of the work:
having to rebase and track trunk, resubmit, wait, maybe get some feedback,
otherwise: silence.

Even I have lots of minor patches being neglected, looking at those I see
one, HADOOP-6221 (*) Make it possible to interrupt RPC Client operations,
dates from 2009. That's five years old, impacts production —and still
nobody looks at it. And if a committer can't get patches in after 5 years,
what chance do others have?

Here are some thoughts of mine

*Technology*
-could something like Gerrit help?
-could we do more with Git pull requests? One issue here is that none of us
want the completely history of a patch development merged in, only an
aggregate (squashed) patch.
-How can testing be improved? That's precommit and postcommit regression
testing

*Codebase*

Culling hadoop-contrib was a good thing: it was where code went to die. But
we now have things that are considered to matter, yet under-reviewed.
Object stores are a key example: nobody full time works on those,
especially s3 and openstack —and everyone forgts that jenkins doesn't run
their tests (which add time and cost money). Which is how a release of
hadoop got out (2.4) whose S3n client would NPE on a seek(0) of a 0-byte
file. What bits like this are considered to matter, yet don't get much
attention?

Off-hand, I'd say: launcher scripts & metrics; There's the perennial
'update the dependency' work (HADOOP-9991) which is painful, and somewhat
risky. Which is why we tend to stick with dependencies we know, even if we
know they are outdated and have problems (jetty is many generations out of
date, for example)

*Process*
 -How can we clear the backlog?
 -How do we keep it lean in future?
 -what's the best way of developing "housekeeping" patches, ones that apply
the same fixes everywhere (e.g moving off some deprecated Guava API). These
patches age fast, yet nobody is going to want to review & process the
changes one file at a time.

So: discuss away.

In the meantime, I am planning to review and where possible commit patches
from people who are not committers but have submissions which matter to
them, with the goal being to +1 in stuff that has been out there a
while.(**)

-Steve

(*) https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-6221 did get in +1'd
earlier today, but there are many more in that state, even just from me.

(**) If you have had >1 thing committed recently please don't ask for more,
I am trying to get more people's work in.

--
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE