Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Allistair Crossley <Al...@QAS.com> on 2006/04/24 10:34:08 UTC

Hiding error logging when using JK loadbalancer for transparent production builds

Hi,

I've started to use JK's loadbalancer behaviour to hide production
builds from our users, so that if I am going to build new functionality,
I bring up a 2nd Tomcat which is a copy of the 1st, and then bring the
1st down for the build. However, when a build is complete, I do not run
2 Tomcats for resource consumption reasons, as they are both on the same
server right now.

This works very nicely, except that when just 1 Tomcat is running (which
is the case 95% of the time) JK is (rightly) logging the fact it cannot
find the other Tomcat declared in the JK workers file (the one used for
temporarily serving requests whilst the main Tomcat is built to).

However, this is going to generate quite a substantial amount of
logging. I can't see a way to classify the logging statement any better
than error because, technically, it is an error. I could change my JK
log level to fatal (does it have fatal?) but then I would not see all
errors I am interested in. A solution would also be to use a flag in the
worker definitions that let me indicate whether connectivity issues
should be ignored, but that's not going to happen unless the JK team
acknowledge the usefulness of using JK loadbalancer for the strategy I
use it for (i.e transparent production builds).

Does anyone have further thoughts on this, is this just a log file I am
going to have to live with and control? The issue of course on Windows
is that I cannot just GZIP this logfile and create another empty one
since the JK DLL has it locked, so I have to restart IIS to kill the log
file off which defeats the transparent build strategy.

Cheers, Allistair

[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [info]  ajp_send_request::jk_ajp_common.c
(1186): Error connecting to the Tomcat process.
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [info]  ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1665):
Sending request to tomcat failed,  recoverable operation attempt=2
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1673):
Error connecting to tomcat. Tomcat is probably not started or is
listening on the wrong port. worker=tomcat2 failed errno = 61
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [error] start_response::jk_isapi_plugin.c
(475): HSE_REQ_SEND_RESPONSE_HEADER failed
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [error] write::jk_isapi_plugin.c (565):
WriteClient failed with 00002746
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [info]  ajp_process_callback::jk_ajp_common.c
(1322): Connection aborted or network problems
[Mon Apr 24 09:25:25 2006] [error] ajp_service::jk_ajp_common.c (1659):
Client connection aborted or network problems

QAS Ltd.
Registered in England: No 2582055
Registered in Australia: No 082 851 474
Disclaimer:  The information contained within this e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. This email is intended solely for the named recipient only; if you are not authorised you must not disclose, copy, distribute, or retain this message or any part of it. If you have received this message in error please contact the sender at once so that we may take the appropriate action and avoid troubling you further.  Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender.  QAS Limited has the right lawfully to record, monitor and inspect messages between its employees and any third party.  Your messages shall be subject to such lawful supervision as QAS Limited deems to be necessary in order to protect its information, its interests and its reputation.

Whilst all efforts are made to safeguard Inbound and Outbound emails, QAS Limited cannot guarantee that attachments are virus free or compatible with your systems and does not accept any liability in respect of viruses or computer problems experienced.
</FONT>