Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com> on 2003/08/07 17:47:05 UTC

RE: DVSL

Thanks.

The lack of choices has never been the problem in the Jakarta area:-)
I am pretty sure that there is an evolution of the architectural thinking
and that new projects have come into existance to improve productivity and
encapsulate the underlying technologies into easier-to-use, high level
functions.

DVSL looks pretty attractive in theory and looks like a better way to
process XML in the Jetspeed enviroonment. Is it?
I would like to have the opinion of the experienced Jakarta insiders about
how this technology should be used and whether it is the "preferred" way to
handle XML. Is it a strategic part of Jakarta with the same standing as
XALAN in terms of functional extensions and bug  fixes?

A really nice document for the site would be a marketing brochure on the
Jakarta "product line" to help managers understand the choices available and
help outsiders make the best use of the technology. I have found it somewhat
difficult to understand how all the parts interrelate and to extract out an
architecture that is productive, consisting of components that will continue
to be enhanced and supported.

I hope that the use of the word marketing does not get me banned from the
site. I do appreciate that the key people who would have to write this are
also the guys who are taking the time to help me and others while actually
making all the wonderful tools for us.

Ron