Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Eric Roberts <er...@austin.tacc.utexas.edu> on 2002/12/09 21:24:09 UTC

"ant tutorial-n" command

I am trying to run the jetspeed tutorial (by building jetspeed with ant
using the "ant tutorial-n" command where n is the number of the
tutorial.  After downloading the src, building the jetspeed war file
with "ant war", and trying to run the "ant tutorial-1" command, the
build fails because it can't find the "tutorial-1" target in the
build.xml file.  How do I get this to work if the build.xml file that
comes with jetspeed doesn't have these targets?  Am I downloading the
wrong source files?  Please help.

RE: "ant tutorial-n" command

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

np, yes it is covered. Throughout the intro, and in the
See :
http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/JetspeedTutorial.htm#_Toc26987080

http://www.bluesunrise.com/jetspeed-docs/JetspeedTutorial.htm#_Toc26987002

This is one of the primary lessons in the tutorial: to give you a working
example of a real project that can evolve and coexist outside the dev.cycle
of the open source project. The deployment in Jetspeed is a nightmare. There
is no equivalent of 'take a war for and drop it in the container'. (There
will be future releases) I believe the process outlined in the tutorial will
serve the purposes of teaching Jestpeed but also as a working example that
you can easily tailor to your own project. Just take the build.xml, strip
out all the tutorial stuff, and go with it. Better yet, another ant target:

ant new-project

Kind of like the TDK in Turbine.

Re: "ant tutorial-n" command

Posted by Gary Lawrence Murphy <ga...@canada.com>.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy - garym@teledyn.com - TeleDynamics Communications
   - blog: http://www.teledyn.com/mt/ - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -

RE: "ant tutorial-n" command

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

You do not build the JPortal site from within the Jetspeed directory.
JPortal source exists in another project directory, separate from Jetspeed.
You have to download jportal.jar, expand it, and build from there.

This is how I develop my projects. I never mix my source trees with
Jetspeed's.

Looks like I made one of those assumptive mistakes that I always make when
writing documentation.
Forgot to explicity say "cd {where you installed the JPortal project}"
and then type "ant tutorial-n"

Sorry for the confusion,

David