Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by David Rodríguez Fernández <d-...@chronoexpres.com> on 2007/02/02 09:09:31 UTC

RE: mod_jk replacement?

You can do an configuration too easy with all versions of mod_proxy, but an
exaustive analisys of the application and an advanced configuration in
apache can speed up the service. With the example I mentioned in an previous
post I'm serving all static content with apache and only pass to tomcat the
dinamic content. In my application aprox the 90% of requests are .jpg .gif.
.css .js .pdf ... If apache serves this kind of content, I'm reducind the
tomcat's load in 90%.

Posted by Mladen Turk <ml...@gmail.com>.
JNeuhoff wrote:
> The same here. Most of the static content (such as *.png) is being served by
> the Apache frontend, and only requests for to our web service are configured
> with the ProxPass directives. I had to use the ProxyPassReverse, too:
>
> ProxyPreserveHost On
> ProxyPass /ohpr/ http://localhost:8080/ohpr/
>  /ohpr/ http://localhost:8080/ohpr/
>

> It is slightly slower than mod_jk, but doesn't develop the un-recoverable
> TCP Connections Aborted conditions so easily on Windows 2003 as mod_jk does,

LOL. Can you put some money on that statement?
The http proxy is at least 2 times slower the mod_jk.

Reasons for that (major) are:
1. http needs to reconnect for each request
2. AJP is binary http protocol, so it saves the
    network bandwith up to 20%

Regards,
Mladen.

RE: mod_jk replacement?

Posted by JNeuhoff <ne...@mhccorp.com>.

ProxyPassReverse /ohpr/ http://localhost:8080/ohpr/

It is slightly slower than mod_jk, but doesn't develop the un-recoverable
TCP Connections Aborted conditions so easily on Windows 2003 as mod_jk does,
hence it can cope better with heavier web traffic. Even so, will still
managed to get the web service unresponsive after subjecting it to a 10
minutes stresstest, and Rainer Jung suggested to apply a Microsoft hotfix
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925513) to reduce the chances of
un-recoverable aborted TCP Connection errors. I am still waiting for our
Sysadmins to get this from Microsoft, unfortunately it is not yet freely
downloadable, but it will be part of the upcoming Windows 2003 SP2.

Juergen Neuhoff

RE: mod_jk replacement?

Posted by JNeuhoff <ne...@mhccorp.com>.