Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Andrew Hearn <an...@aaisp.net.uk> on 2008/05/16 13:49:39 UTC

Fraud spam text in .doc attachments

Hi,

Any one else seen emails with word documents attached and the word
document has text of an 'African fraud'?

example: http://pastebin.com/mad34c97

I've not seen a Word Doc plugin for SpamAssassin, is there one?

Thanks!

--
Andrew Hearn

Re: Fraud spam text in .doc attachments

Posted by Benny Pedersen <me...@junc.org>.
On Fri, May 16, 2008 13:49, Andrew Hearn wrote:

> Any one else seen emails with word documents attached and the word
> document has text of an 'African fraud'?

yes

> example: http://pastebin.com/mad34c97

Download, but no url to download from

> I've not seen a Word Doc plugin for SpamAssassin, is there one?

could be added to fuzzyocr plugin, but attachmens is low here

Benny Pedersen
Need more webspace ? http://www.servage.net/?coupon=cust37098

Re: Fraud spam text in .doc attachments

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 16 May 2008, Loren Wilton wrote:

> I have vague memories someone did something to parse Word and Excel
> attachments, but maybe I'm only dreaming about that.

I suggested using antiword + pdf-to-image + OCR, but never did anything
with the idea.

   A well educated Electorate, being necessary to the liberty of a
   free State, the Right of the People to Keep and Read Books shall
   not be infringed.
  5 days until the 4th anniversary of SpaceshipOne winning the X-prize

Re: Fraud spam text in .doc attachments

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
I seem to recall there was a rash of Word spams maybe a year or so ago, but
it went away pretty quickly.  Maybe someone is trying to revive the method.
Since not everyone has a Word viewer the spam is self-limiting in how much
of the target audience it can capture, so will probably die out again fairly
soon.

I have vague memories someone did something to parse Word and Excel
attachments, but maybe I'm only dreaming about that.

        Loren