Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com> on 2002/04/29 14:00:31 UTC

Spamming being done in my name...

Folks,

Someone using mail servers (not open relay) at pol.co.uk is spamming and using me as the reply-to.
They are targeting places I frequent, including other contributors of the Avalon list.  They are
distributing some exe that looks like a x-wav...

Please accept my apologies for something that is not my fault.

Regards,

- Paul H

Re: Spamming being done in my name...

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
I was investigating this as you sent this. It seems to be the newest
outlook worm indeed, apparantly someone who frequents jakarta has the
bugger. It's not me, I'm on linux =)

I will contact the ISP and ask them to contact their customer (he's
using dialup so the trace failed).

regards,

- Leo

Posted by Peter Royal <pr...@apache.org>.
On Monday 29 April 2002 08:00 am, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Someone using mail servers (not open relay) at pol.co.uk is spamming and
> using me as the reply-to. They are targeting places I frequent, including
> other contributors of the Avalon list.  They are distributing some exe that
> looks like a x-wav...
>
> Please accept my apologies for something that is not my fault.

I believe that is the new ms lookout worm that is going around. it culls
email addresses from user's web cache.

(i've had the same happen to me)
-pete

--
peter royal -> proyal@apache.org

Re: Spamming being done in my name...

Posted by Berin Loritsch <bl...@apache.org>.
Paul Hammant wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Someone using mail servers (not open relay) at pol.co.uk is spamming and using me as the reply-to.
> They are targeting places I frequent, including other contributors of the Avalon list.  They are
> distributing some exe that looks like a x-wav...
>
> Please accept my apologies for something that is not my fault.

My virus softwrae that intercetps the POP3 stream detected a couple
virii that could not be cleaned.

  deserve neither liberty nor safety."
                 - Benjamin Franklin

Re: Spamming being done in my name...

Posted by Paul Hammant <pa...@yahoo.com>.
Nicola,

> They are doing the same on the Cocoon list for all developers, using other
> developers' names as the sender.
>
> Gee, how _stupid_ this is!

Indeed.  I was talking to the JAMES guys trying to persuade them to draft an RFC for 'DYST'. This
is a 'did you sent this' query that mail servers could ask each other (with digest and message id)
that would close off some avenues for spam, with the downside that it makes the mail exchange
slower.  But less SPAM means more bandwidth yes?

-ph

Re: Spamming being done in my name...

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.
From: "Paul Hammant" <pa...@yahoo.com>

> Someone using mail servers (not open relay) at pol.co.uk is spamming and
using me as the reply-to.
> They are targeting places I frequent, including other contributors of the
Avalon list.  They are
> distributing some exe that looks like a x-wav...
>
> Please accept my apologies for something that is not my fault.

They are doing the same on the Cocoon list for all developers, using other
developers' names as the sender.

Gee, how _stupid_ this is!

            - verba volant, scripta manent -