Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> on 2012/08/09 03:02:45 UTC

Live Archives and Dead Domains

Hi,

Since I reviewed and created patches to resolve some of our redirection issues I have reviewed the Zone file for openoffice.org.

(1) These repositories are still functional with legacy code and releases:
svn.services.openoffice.org
hg.services.oopenoffice.org
archive.services.openoffice.org
rsync.services.openoffice.org

(2) These domains are all dead.
o3-build.services.openoffice.org
oosvn01.services.openoffice.org
oosvn04.services.openoffice.org
portal.openoffice.org
portal.services.openoffice.org
rsyncmaster.services.openoffice.org
termite.services.openoffice.org
tools.services.openoffice.org

I propose to redirect the dead domains to either the  thank you page that Andrea just built or the 404 page. What do people think?

Regards,
Dave

Re: Live Archives and Dead Domains

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Aug 9, 2012 at 4:51 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 8, 2012 at 9:02 PM, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Since I reviewed and created patches to resolve some of our redirection
> issues I have reviewed the Zone file for openoffice.org.
> >
> > (1) These repositories are still functional with legacy code and
> releases:
> > svn.services.openoffice.org
> > hg.services.oopenoffice.org
> > archive.services.openoffice.org
> > rsync.services.openoffice.org
> >
> > (2) These domains are all dead.
> > o3-build.services.openoffice.org
> > oosvn01.services.openoffice.org
> > oosvn04.services.openoffice.org
> > portal.openoffice.org
> > portal.services.openoffice.org
> > rsyncmaster.services.openoffice.org
> > termite.services.openoffice.org
> > tools.services.openoffice.org
> >
> > I propose to redirect the dead domains to either the  thank you page
> that Andrea just built or the 404 page. What do people think?
> >

> I'd recommend the 404 page, with a real 404 code in the header.  That
> gives extra information to the sites that links to us, useful for
> example if they run link checkers on their website, they'll see they
> have outdated links.
>
> -Rob
>
> > Regards,
> > Dave

Rob's suggestion sounds good to me as well.

MzK

"I'm just a normal jerk who happens to make music.
 As long as my brain and fingers work, I'm cool."
                              -- Eddie Van Halen

Re: Live Archives and Dead Domains

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.