Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Chetan Pandey <cp...@bluesingapore.com> on 2007/01/26 09:27:36 UTC

Struts 2.0 vs Struts 1.3.5 vs Struts 1.2

Hi All:

We have been using Struts 1.2 for many months in our company.

Now we have a fresh project and some of us are confused whether we should
use Struts 1.3.5 or Struts 2.0 or just continue with 1.2 as we have been
doing for the past few months. I have gone through the Struts Docs and their
arguments for one or the Other have left me still unclear.

Our new project will be for one programmer with Time Period of 1.5 Months.
It will be using a lot of Ajax. Will Learning Curve be too steep for 2.0.

Incase of choice between 1.2. and 1.3.5 how do I convince them that we
should go with 1.3.5. How is it better than 1.2

Thanks.

Chetan

CHETAN PANDEY  Executive - Technology Services
BLUE, 1 Maritime Square, #13-02 Harbourfront Centre, Singapore 099253
DID +65-6212-0863 main line +65-6333-3336 fax +65 6336-6334
email  <ma...@BLUEsingapore.com> cpandey@BLUEsingapore.com website
<http://www.bluesingapore.com/> www.BLUEsingapore.com
BEIJING      SHANGHAI       LONDON     TOKYO      PALO ALTO      SINGAPORE

CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This email and its attachment(s) contain
Privileged/Confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient,
the distribution, use or replication of the information in this email is
strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify
the sender immediately by return email, then delete this email and any
attached documents. Any opinions, conclusions or views expressed in this
email are those of the individual sender, except where he/she -- expressly
and with authority  -- states them to be the views of BLUE.

Re: Struts 2.0 vs Struts 1.3.5 vs Struts 1.2

Posted by "Frank W. Zammetti" <fz...@omnytex.com>.
You say the project will be heavily AJAX-based, so you may want to look at
the AJAX support S2 provides.  If it suits your needs, you may well want
to take the plunge because not only is S2 generally easier to develop for,
you can also avoid most of the client-side code, so any learning curve
setback you may have would be offset by less development and debugging of
client code.  If your going to use something other than Dojo or DWR (which
I think has some built-in support in S2, as does Dojo for sure) then I'm
not sure there's any substantial benefit for you going to S2, but again,
it wouldn't hurt I think.

On the subject of learning curve, I think if your developer knows S1
pretty well, they'll find the learning curve for S2 pretty much
inconsequential.  Most of the basic concepts will transfer just fine, and
the differences don't take very long to get used to at all.  Any learning
curve will probably be offset by improved speed of development (i.e., if
it takes 1 minute to understand how an ActionForm is now essentially part
of an Action in S2, it may take 1 minute less to not have to code, or
generate, an ActionForm).  If the application is low to medium-complexity
I'd definitely stand by this assessment.  I think if the app is going to
be really complex and use a great deal of more esoteric Struts features,
only then does the learning curve maybe come into play to a substantial
degree.

As an example, I wrote a Webwork-based application for my AJAX book... I'd
classify it as somewhere between simple and medium complexity... if I had
done it with Struts it would mostly have only used simple features.  This
was my first time looking at WW.  Doing the app in WW took about as long
as it would have with Struts, even with the learning curve factored in.  I
had one or two bumps in the road that I got through pretty quickly.  I
haven't done anything yet with S2, but since it's substantially WW anyway,
I don't imagine this story would be much different now.

HTH,
Frank

--
Frank W. Zammetti
Founder and Chief Software Architect

Posted by Tom Schneider <sc...@gmail.com>.
Joe Germuska wrote:
> Struts 1.3.5 is intended to be essentially backwards compatible with
> 1.2.x;
> information on the details is here:
> http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13
>
> Struts 2 is substantially different.  I would not expect a Struts 1
> developer to implement a project on the same time frame if it also
> included
> learning to switch to Struts 2.
I disagree to a certain degree.  If the project is large enough and
involves enough complexity, the productivity benefits of struts 2 will
offset the learning curve.  (It also depends on how quickly the
developer(s) can come up to speed)  We saw this on one of our projects
where the conversion to webwork actually reduced implementation time
even though there was a learning curve because the developers were
writing less code and implementing screens much quicker compared to our
old framework.  On the mid to small sized project those benefits will
not be realized as much right away.

Re: Struts 2.0 vs Struts 1.3.5 vs Struts 1.2

Posted by Joe Germuska <jo...@germuska.com>.
Struts 1.3.5 is intended to be essentially backwards compatible with 1.2.x;
information on the details is here:
http://wiki.apache.org/struts/StrutsUpgradeNotes12to13

Struts 2 is substantially different.  I would not expect a Struts 1
developer to implement a project on the same time frame if it also included
learning to switch to Struts 2.

Joe

On 1/26/07, Chetan Pandey <cp...@bluesingapore.com> wrote:

> Hi All:
>

> We have been using Struts 1.2 for many months in our company.
>

> Now we have a fresh project and some of us are confused whether we should
> use Struts 1.3.5 or Struts 2.0 or just continue with 1.2 as we have been
> doing for the past few months. I have gone through the Struts Docs and
> their
> arguments for one or the Other have left me still unclear.
>

> Our new project will be for one programmer with Time Period of 1.5 Months.
> It will be using a lot of Ajax. Will Learning Curve be too steep for 2.0.
>

> Incase of choice between 1.2. and 1.3.5 how do I convince them that we
> should go with 1.3.5. How is it better than 1.2
>

> Thanks.
>

> Chetan

> CHETAN PANDEY  Executive - Technology Services
> BLUE, 1 Maritime Square, #13-02 Harbourfront Centre, Singapore 099253
> DID +65-6212-0863 main line +65-6333-3336 fax +65 6336-6334
> email  <ma...@BLUEsingapore.com> cpandey@BLUEsingapore.comwebsite
> <http://www.bluesingapore.com/> www.BLUEsingapore.com
> BEIJING      SHANGHAI       LONDON     TOKYO      PALO ALTO      SINGAPORE
>
> CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This email and its attachment(s) contain
> Privileged/Confidential information. If you are not the intended
> recipient,
> the distribution, use or replication of the information in this email is
> strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please
> notify
> the sender immediately by return email, then delete this email and any
> attached documents. Any opinions, conclusions or views expressed in this
> email are those of the individual sender, except where he/she -- expressly
> and with authority  -- states them to be the views of BLUE.

--
Joe Germuska

"The truth is that we learned from João forever to be out of tune."
-- Caetano Veloso