Posted to dev@apr.apache.org by Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org> on 2001/02/07 01:27:02 UTC

[fielding@ebuilt.com: Re: FreeBSD 4.2 breakage (?)]

[ assuming a misfire ]

----- Forwarded message from "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com> -----

From: "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@ebuilt.com>
Subject: Re: FreeBSD 4.2 breakage (?)
To: Greg Stein <gs...@lyra.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2001 18:29:31 -0500

> I don't have a ready solution for strings.h, however. Because we *do* use
> strcasecmp, I don't know a better way to pick it up. I don't want to rely on
> /not/ including strings.h if string.h is present. Who knows if string.h will
> define strcasecmp? GNU's happens to do so, but what about elsewhere? From
> that point, I said "gotta include both. now how do I prevent the extra
> definition of strcasecmp?"

Isn't this the reason we are using autoconf?  Just write a test case
like the iconv one that Mo posted.

> Even if we ultimately back out the POSIX_SOURCE thing, cleaning out the
> BSDisms from internal and public APR will assist with portability.
> [ I'm presuming that POSIX is more portable than BSDisms ]

Not really... most of the platforms that Apache 1.3 runs on predate
POSIX.  BSDisms tend to work because many other real code bases have been
ported to multiple platforms, whereas POSIX was simply a standard based
on what was believed to be the lowest common denominator.

....Roy

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Greg Stein, http://www.lyra.org/