Posted to dev@lucene.apache.org by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org> on 2020/10/28 14:19:52 UTC

[SOLR] Closing CDCR issues as Won't Fix

Devs,

Just a heads up that since Solr CDCR is on the slate for
deprecation/removal, I'm going to clean up some JIRA issues related to it,
namely
https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20SOLR%20AND%20status%20%3D%20Open%20AND%20component%20%3D%20CDCR

There's a few that I'll leave untouched, like SOLR-10091 and SOLR-14611,
since they are not related to the current implementation of CDCR, but the
rest should be closed as Won't Fix. I'll try to do this without spamming
the mailing list, but apologize pre-emptively if this generated a bunch of
traffic.

Mike

Re: [SOLR] Closing CDCR issues as Won't Fix

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I hadn’t realized what the https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/package-manager-internals.html#package-store Package Store does previously, thanks for sharing that.

Is the blob store the only use of the .system collection then?  Is “blob store == .system” conceptually?

Posted by David Smiley <ds...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
I was looking at the Deprecations wiki page: https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SOLR/Deprecations

However, the wording on that page is "Runtime lib plugin loading from blob store”, so maybe I’m wrong, and we’re keeping the blob store, but just not for loading runtime libs?   I found that the https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/metrics-history.html page highlights you have to have the .system collection to persist metrics through restarts.

I looked at https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/blob-store-api.html expecting it to say “don’t use this, use the package manager”, however it doesn’t.  I did find on https://lucene.apache.org/solr/guide/8_6/adding-custom-plugins-in-solrcloud-mode.html#adding-custom-plugins-in-solrcloud-mode that it highlights that adding custom plugins via the blob store and is not supported in Solr 9.

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.
Mike,

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>.