Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com> on 2013/03/04 14:52:19 UTC

issue with 4.1

Hi I am trying to test the latest 4.1 (and 4.1l10n branch).

I am on OSX 10.8.2, I had to update to JDK 1.7 to get things going.

and after a 'clean install' I get stuck with:

Password:WARN  [utils.script.Script] (Script-1:) Interrupting script.
WARN  [utils.script.Script] (Timer-2:) Timed out: sudo keytool -genkey -keystore /Users/sebastiengoasguen/Documents/incubator-cloudstack/client/target/cloud-client-ui-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/classes/cloud.keystore -storepass vmops.com -keypass vmops.com -keyalg RSA -validity 3650 -dname cn="Cloudstack User",ou="168.1.20",o="168.1.20",c="Unknown" .  Output is:
WARN  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Would use fail-safe keystore to continue.
java.io.IOException: Fail to generate certificate!: timeout
	at com.cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl.generateDefaultKeystore(ConfigurationServerImpl.java:491)
	at com.cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl.updateSSLKeystore(ConfigurationServerImpl.java:512)
	at com.cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl.persistDefaultValues(ConfigurationServerImpl.java:269)
	at com.cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl.configure(ConfigurationServerImpl.java:143)
	at org.springframework.aop.support.AopUtils.invokeJoinpointUsingReflection(AopUtils.java:319)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.invokeJoinpoint(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:183)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:150)
	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.proceed(MethodInvocationProceedingJoinPoint.java:80)
	at com.cloud.utils.db.TransactionContextBuilder.AroundAnyMethod(TransactionContextBuilder.java:37)
	at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor36.invoke(Unknown Source)
	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethodWithGivenArgs(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:621)
	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AbstractAspectJAdvice.invokeAdviceMethod(AbstractAspectJAdvice.java:610)
	at org.springframework.aop.aspectj.AspectJAroundAdvice.invoke(AspectJAroundAdvice.java:65)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
	at org.springframework.aop.interceptor.ExposeInvocationInterceptor.invoke(ExposeInvocationInterceptor.java:90)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.ReflectiveMethodInvocation.proceed(ReflectiveMethodInvocation.java:172)
	at org.springframework.aop.framework.JdkDynamicAopProxy.invoke(JdkDynamicAopProxy.java:202)
	at $Proxy388.configure(Unknown Source)
	at com.cloud.utils.component.ComponentContext.initComponentsLifeCycle(ComponentContext.java:110)
	at com.cloud.servlet.CloudStartupServlet$1.run(CloudStartupServlet.java:50)
INFO  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Processing updateKeyPairs
INFO  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Keypairs already in database
INFO  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Keypairs already in database, skip updating local copy (not running as cloud user)
INFO  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Going to update systemvm iso with generated keypairs if needed
Password:

?

-sebastien

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
Interesting, after 20 minutes or even more it went through with:

WARN  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Failed to inject generated public key into systemvm iso injectkeys.sh: Failed to mount original iso /Users/sebastiengoasguen/Documents/incubator-cloudstack/client/target/cloud-client-ui-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/classes/vms/systemvm.isoinjectkeys.sh: Failed to backup original iso /Users/sebastiengoasguen/Documents/incubator-cloudstack/client/target/cloud-client-ui-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/classes/vms/systemvm.isoinjectkeys.sh: Failed to copy from original iso /Users/sebastiengoasguen/Documents/incubator-cloudstack/client/target/cloud-client-ui-4.1.0-SNAPSHOT/WEB-INF/classes/vms/systemvm.isoinjectkeys.sh: Failed to copy key /Users/sebastiengoasguen/.ssh/id_rsa.pub from original iso to new iso injectkeys.sh: Failed to unmount old iso from /Users/sebastiengoasguen/systemvm_mnt
INFO  [cloud.server.ConfigurationServerImpl] (Timer-2:) Need to store secondary storage vm copy password in the database

RE: issue with 4.1

Posted by "Musayev, Ilya" <im...@webmd.net>.
+1 to John's comment,

Regards
ilya

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chip,

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
Anyone want to take a shot at fixing this then?  We seem to agree on the
right general direction.

RE: issue with 4.1

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.
+1.  Will be changed in 4.2.  Didn't make it into 4.1 to disable to autoupgrade.

--Alex

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Kelvin,

While this workaround stops the interactive prompting by the daemon,
it is bad security practice.  As the ticket states, daemon users
should be granted least privilege necessary to execute in order to
limit damage in the event of a successful attack.  Granting the daemon
user password-less sudo access violates this best practice and
effectively allows the management server to execute as root.
Additionally, the SSL certificate generated by the script is an attack
vector due to the use of a common password, "vmops.com".  For both of
these reasons, there is no workaround that does not compromise
security.

Thanks,
-John

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by Kelven Yang <ke...@citrix.com>.

RE: issue with 4.1

Posted by Edison Su <Ed...@citrix.com>.

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by Chiradeep Vittal <Ch...@citrix.com>.
+1 (again)

RE: issue with 4.1

Posted by Alex Huang <Al...@citrix.com>.

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chip,

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by Chip Childers <ch...@sungard.com>.
On Mon, Mar 04, 2013 at 11:08:32AM -0500, John Burwell wrote:
> Chip,
>
> I opened CLOUDSTACK-1389 for the exact issue described by Sebastien.  As
> noted in the ticket, I believe the behavior implemented by the script
> represents a security vulnerability(with or without the use of sudo).

Have any thoughts on how to resolve it?

Re: issue with 4.1

Posted by John Burwell <jb...@basho.com>.
Chip,