Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Duraid <du...@rogers.com> on 2003/09/20 14:06:47 UTC

asp.net developer roadmap

Hi, Im an ASP.NET developer and i decided to using JSP. The problem is
that there are many names jumping in my head: JSP..Jakarta, Tomcat,
Struts, Velocity..Webshere.. J2EE..etc. I don't know where to start:
should i learn JSP first, what technologies should i use? i mean with
ASP.NET it's much easier, you get VS.NET and start working, not the case
with JSP. Please help me to develop a road map for starting to develop
web application using JSP, here is what im looking for:

1- Using open source tools where ever possible because the reason im
switching from .NET is that it doesn't make sense to use expensive
technology when you can do the same with free tools.

2- I'm an IDE guy so i prefer to have all the tools in one place than
using switching between different ones bach and forth.

3- i like reading books more than  reading howto's.

that's it!! Can you please tell me where to start and how to go?

Re: asp.net developer roadmap

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
As mentioned, start with the WebServices tutorial (I *so* wish we had
this four years ago). This will ground you on the Java spin on all the
underlying technologies. (Most of which you may already know.) There is
also a nice roundup at the beginning of the Struts User Guide
<http://jakarta.apache.org/struts/userGuide/preface.html>.

If you looking for the simplest development roadmap, use Struts with the
JSTL taglib, with your choice of OJB, Hibernate, or iBatis on the
backend. OJB <http://db.apache.org/ojb/> and Hibernate
<http://www.hibernate.org/> are roughly equivalent ways to automatically
store objects in a SQL database. iBatis <ibatis.com> is a simpler
approach that just tries to give a clean way to call SQL queries from
your program, but you do have to BYOQ (bring your own queries).

For IDEs, be sure to evaluate IDEA by IntelliJ <http://jetbrains.com/>
before making a final decision. It's not free, but some people (like me)
think it's worth the price. Otherwise, as mentioned, Eclipse is a fine
choice.

There are several books about Struts. Struts in Action is probably the
least how-to-ish and the most how-why-ish. (It tries to teach you to
fish.) But, Mastering Jakarta Strut is also highly regarded. Many people
find them complementary.

If you're looking for a truly great Struts example, see the JPetstore3
<http://ibatis.com/jpetstore/jpetstore.html> application. The nice part
here is you can compare it to the infamous .NET version. (JP3 is *not*
the original Sun Petstore application, which was a meant as a
"reference" application. This one is written the way real developers
write real Struts applications (or at least should). Clinton's really
done a fantastic job here!)

JPetstore3 uses iBatis on the backend, but does so through a Data Access
  Object framework that is a separate part of the iBatis package. This
DAO framework should work just as well with OJB or Hibernate if you
decide to switch later. You just have to change the classnames in a XML
configuration file, and you're good to go.

Though, if the only reason you're dropping .NET is free tools, there are
quite a few available for .NET now, many of which have been ported from
Java. Here's a quick roundup:

Mavnet - Production/stable (final release 15/may/03).
   http://mavnet.sourceforge.net/

NVelocity - Production/stable - release 0.4 10/jan/03.
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nvelocity

NORM (iBATIS) - Alpha but active
http://www.gotdotnet.com/Community/Workspaces/Workspace.aspx?id=6bf91dea-dea3-4949-9602-ea1ea32a22b4

OJB.NET - Alpha but active - release v0.1.04 02/Sep/03
   http://ojb-net.sourceforge.net/

NUnit - Production/Stable - release 2.1 02/sep/02
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nunit/

DotNetMock (Mock Objects) - Beta - release 0.4 12/apr/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/dotnetmock/

NMock (DynaMocks) - release 1.0 10/may/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nmock/

Log4Net - Production/Stable - release 1.1.1 13/apr/02, 1.2 B8 15/jul/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/log4net/

NAnt - Beta - release 0.8.3 final 3/sep/03
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/nant/

Lucene.Net - Production/Stable - release 1.3rc1.001 31/aug/30
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/lucenedotnet

iTextSharp - Production/Stable -  release 0.04 21/aug/2003
   http://sourceforge.net/projects/itextsharp

These are just the ones that have Java/.NET corrolaries that I may be
using myself sometime. If you poke around SourceForge, I'm sure you'll
find many open-source .NET gizmos.

IMHO, it's open source that will ultimately be doing the assimilating. =:0)

HTH, Ted.

--
Ted Husted,
   Junit in Action  - <http://www.manning.com/massol/>,

"Get Ready, We're Moving Out!!" - <http://www.clark04.com>

RE: asp.net developer roadmap

Posted by ma...@felixguntrum.de.
Sorry for blowing up your mailbox - but i forgot the link to the
tutorial ..

http://java.sun.com/webservices/docs/1.2/tutorial/doc/index.html

[...]

Hi, there is a great tutorial from sun - it should be a webservice
tutorial, but it covers everything from "tomcat" over "Getting Started
with Web Applications" to "JSP" and so on .. I think it´s a nice place
to get your first informations. If you are looking for books - watch out
for o´reilly books .. The standart IDE is eclipse (for free), WSAD is an
expansion from eclipse - but it´s not free.