Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Luke Scharf <ls...@ee.vt.edu> on 2002/03/13 00:22:35 UTC

mod_auth, .htaccess - what am I missing?

I'm attempting to set up standard mod_auth authentication with a
.htaccess file and a password file.  We have a similar setup from our
old server, which worked great.

So, whenever I try to authenticate against my .htpasswd file, the
following message shows up in error_log:

> [Tue Mar 12 18:16:52 2002] [error] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
> access to /~lscharf/private failed for 128.173.88.79, reason:
> Authentication failure

My <Directory> tag is typical:
> <Directory /home/*/public_html>
>     AllowOverride FileInfo AuthConfig Limit
>     Options MultiViews Indexes SymLinksIfOwnerMatch IncludesNoExec
ExecCGI
>     <Limit GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order allow,deny
>         Allow from all
>     </Limit>
>     <LimitExcept GET POST OPTIONS PROPFIND>
>         Order deny,allow
>         Deny from all
>     </LimitExcept>
> </Directory>

and my .htaccess is simple:
> AuthType Basic
> AuthName "blankityblank"
> AuthUserFile /home/lscharf/.htpasswd
> require user yoda

Am I missing anything?
Can I get more informative debugging information that what show up in
error_log?

Thanks in advance!
-Luke

--
Luke Scharf, Jack of Several Trades
http://www.ccm.ece.vt.edu/~lscharf

Re: mod_auth, .htaccess - what am I missing?

Posted by Luke Scharf <ls...@ee.vt.edu>.
On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 21:23, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Luke Scharf wro
> >  mod_auth_cookie.c
> >  mod_auth_cookie_file.c
> >  mod_auth_external.c
> >   mod_auth_pam.c
> >
> These are all possible causes, especially mod_auth_pam and
> mod_auth_external.  Try getting rid of these and see if it works.

Good call - the wrong authentication mechanism was being used.
Everything works as expected if I add the following to the .htaccess
file:
     AuthAuthoritative on
     AuthPAM_Enabled off

Thanks!
-Luke

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Luke Scharf wro

>  mod_auth_cookie.c
>  mod_auth_cookie_file.c
>  mod_auth_external.c
>   mod_auth_pam.c

These are all possible causes, especially mod_auth_pam and
mod_auth_external.  Try getting rid of these and see if it works.

Joshua.

Re: mod_auth, .htaccess - what am I missing?

Posted by Luke Scharf <ls...@ee.vt.edu>.
On Tue, 2002-03-12 at 18:32, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Luke Scharf wrote:
> > I'm attempting to set up standard mod_auth authentication with a
> > .htaccess file and a password file.  We have a similar setup from our
> > old server, which worked great.
> >
> > So, whenever I try to authenticate against my .htpasswd file, the
> > following message shows up in error_log:
> >

> >>[Tue Mar 12 18:16:52 2002] [error] (25)Inappropriate ioctl for device:
> >>access to /~lscharf/private failed for 128.173.88.79, reason:
> >>Authentication failure
>
> Unfortunately, that is a rather vague error message.  Here's the
> debugging steps I would follow:
>
> 1. Does access to the directory work if you remove the authentication?

Yes.  It works great.  It also works if I change the criterion to
"satisfy any".

> 2. What modules are you using in Apache?  Is there anything non-standard?

I think it's pretty standard, but this is my first time using
ApacheToolbox (rather than RPM's or DEB's).  I have everything
statically linked - no modules.

Here's what I have compiled in:

$ /usr/local/apache/bin/httpd -list
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_env.c
  mod_log_config.c
  mod_mime.c
  mod_negotiation.c
  mod_status.c
  mod_info.c
  mod_include.c
  mod_autoindex.c
  mod_dir.c
  mod_cgi.c
  mod_asis.c
  mod_imap.c
  mod_actions.c
  mod_userdir.c
  mod_alias.c
  mod_access.c
  mod_auth.c
  mod_auth_dbm.c
  mod_auth_db.c
  mod_digest.c
  mod_auth_digest.c
  mod_so.c
  mod_setenvif.c
  mod_ssl.c
  mod_auth_cookie.c
  mod_auth_cookie_file.c
  mod_auth_external.c
  mod_macro.c
  mod_put.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_dav.c
  mod_fastcgi.c
  mod_auth_pam.c
  mod_php4.c
suexec: enabled; valid wrapper /usr/local/apache/bin/suexec

Thanks again!
-Luke

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.