Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Ingo Weiss <in...@ingoweiss.com> on 2006/06/03 14:42:54 UTC

commit fails

Hi,

my commit fails with the following message:

svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: File '/app/myfile.rhtml' already exists

I am not completely sure what I did to myfile.rhtml, but I think I used
"svn copy" to create it based on an exesting file, but misspelled it's
name and renamed it in the finder (which probably was a bad idea). Now I
don't know what I can try to fix the problem.

Thanks for any help!
Ingo

Re: commit fails

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Jun 3, 2006, at 22:00, Ingo Weiss wrote:

>>> my commit fails with the following message:
>>>
>>> svn: Commit failed (details follow):
>>> svn: File '/app/myfile.rhtml' already exists
>>>
>>> I am not completely sure what I did to myfile.rhtml, but I think
>>> I  used
>>> "svn copy" to create it based on an exesting file, but misspelled
>>> it's
>>> name and renamed it in the finder (which probably was a bad
>>> idea).  Now I
>>> don't know what I can try to fix the problem.
>>
>> Yes, you should not have renamed the file using any tool other than
>> Subversion. Now we'll have to figure out what you did, undo it, and
>> do it the right way.
>>
>> Presumably you used something like "svn copy somefile.rhtml
>> oopsfile.rhtml", realized that "oopsfile.rhtml" was the wrong name
>> and used the Mac OS X Finder to rename it to "myfile.rhtml", then
>> used "svn add myfile.rhtml" to add it. If so, you should undo each
>> step in reverse chronological order. Revert the addition: "svn revert
>> myfile.rhtml". Use the Finder to rename the file back to
>> oopsfile.rhtml. Undo the copy: "svn revert oopsfile.rhtml". Now copy
>> the file properly: "svn cp somefile.rhtml myfile.rhtml". Then you
>> should be able to commit the change.
>>
>> If you had copied the file, and then made changes to it, and were now
>> wanting to commit both the creation of the file and the changes, then
>> you would, after doing the correct copy above, have to re-do your
>> changes. If the changes are extensive, take your current myfile.rhtml
>> and copy it somewhere else first (using the Finder or other non-
>> Subversion means), do the above steps, then finally replace
>> myfile.rhtml in your working copy with the version you saved.
>>
>> If this doesn't work, show us the error you get. If possible, show us
>> all the commands and other steps you performed to get into this
>> situation so we can show you where you went wrong. (I realize you may
>> not remember exactly what you did and probably didn't write it down
>> at the time.)
>
> Thanks, Ryan, for your reply!
>
> I followed your steps but unfortunately now I am getting errors for
> another file. Also I am seeing strange status markers for a couple
> more
> files and directories. I feel that by now I tried so many differnt
> things that it is impossible to retrace the steps, so I think I would
> like to start over, set my working directory asside, write down what
> files changed, check out a fresh working directory from the
> repository,
> and massage in the changes. And then commit!
>
> Do you see anything that would speak against this approach?

Yes, that sounds good. Get a fresh working copy, and make the changes
you intend to make.

If you want to rename a file A to B, use "svn rename A B", then later
commit the change. If you later decide before you commit that you
meant to rename it to C, first undo the rename to B, then rename A to
C, then (without Subversion) move your changed B file over the new C
file (svn revert B; svn revert A; svn rename A C; mv B C)

If you want to add a new file D, use "svn add D", and later commit
the addition. If you later decide before you commit that this file
should have a different name, revert the addition of D (svn revert
D), rename it normally (mv D E) and add it again under its new name
(svn add E).

Re: commit fails

Posted by Ingo Weiss <in...@ingoweiss.com>.
Thanks, Ryan, for your reply!

I followed your steps but unfortunately now I am getting errors for
another file. Also I am seeing strange status markers for a couple more
files and directories. I feel that by now I tried so many differnt
things that it is impossible to retrace the steps, so I think I would
like to start over, set my working directory asside, write down what
files changed, check out a fresh working directory from the repository,
and massage in the changes. And then commit!

Do you see anything that would speak against this approach?
Thanks again!
Ingo

Re: commit fails

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.