Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> on 2014/02/18 18:34:03 UTC

More annoying FUD

http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/

Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?

If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
"support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?

A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)

I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
15% complete UI translations ?!

Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
greater results.

Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.

Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.

Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
translation.  LO has only 13.

Look at the data and make your own comparisons:

https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/

https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.
On 19 February 2014 23:54, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2014, at 1:04 PM, jan i wrote:

> >> wrote:
> >>>>>

> >> http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/

> >> We
> yet.

> http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/#comment-6950

> >> that

> >> impressive

> LO

> more
> >>>

> >> How closely did you look?  We only put languages in Pootle where a
> >> volunteer has requested them.  LO has 20 translations that have never
> >> been edited. Some are at 0% complete.   Many more that have not been
> >> touched in over a year.
> >>
> > @rob, I think I am one of those that really knows how we handle
> languages,
> > no need to  give me the sales talk.
> >
> > You are correct for our production versions, but  It seems you have not
> > been on pootle for a while. With genLang ALL our sdf files are converted
> > and available on the test project I have made. So when I compare po files
> > LO/AOO-genLang I compare all we have with all they have.
> >

> >> If you want apples-to-apples comparisons then you should look at the
> >> ones we have in SVN:
> >>
> >> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/
> >>
> >> Both projects have their share of incomplete, neglected translations.
> >> Nothing wrong with that.  But comparing the one project's list of
> >> active translations with another project's list of inactive ones is
> >> not very fair.

> something
> >>>

> >> We've been doing this in SVN, via a website template.  If we had
> >> MDText support for Pootle we could do more.
> >>

> > Well as I wrote earlier in another thread we do have mdtext support,
> there
> > are no magic in that. The english mdtext is the po key, and the text is
> the
> > translation.
> >
> > A simple script convert mdtext/po file.
> >
> > but the interest in having it, was at least at that time below zero.
>
> I would like to explore this before Apachecon and add it to my website
> talk. If you would start another thread and/or point me to any wiki/cwiki
> documentation.

I am not aware of any wiki/cwiki documentation.

But .mdtext files are text files (I can find the definition if you like)
and .po files are used to translate text (I can the definition if you like)

So the script is roughly:
1) Copy .mdtext into .po with the format

msgid = "<text from mdtext file>"
msgstr = ""

2) upload to pootle and let translators do their magic

3) Generate language.mdtext file from translated .po

msgid = "<text from mdtext file>"
msgstr = "<translated text>"

Generate .mdtext file with <translated text> in language directory.

Generate and publish.

> It would be very cool to show how we can expand the topnav and branding
> into the languages. It was the vision beyond where we are now.

yeah.

rgds
jan I.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
On 19 February 2014 17:58, Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Since Italo claims his comparison is with Microsoft then I wonder what % complete they require? I'd guess you would need an NDA to find that one out.

Maybe. One could ask :-)
louis

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.
On Feb 19, 2014, at 1:03 PM, Rob Weir wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 3:55 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> before we we get too far out on theoretical claims. It is true we and LO
>>> have different release policies and so be it.
>>>
>>> But has anyone looked at their po files, I just spent a couple of hours
>>> doing so, and reality is that they have many languages that are far more
>>> complete that ours (see https://translations.documentfoundation.org/)
>>>

>> How closely did you look?  We only put languages in Pootle where a
>> volunteer has requested them.  LO has 20 translations that have never
>> been edited. Some are at 0% complete.   Many more that have not been
>> touched in over a year.
>>
>> If you want apples-to-apples comparisons then you should look at the
>> ones we have in SVN:
>>
>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/
>>
>> Both projects have their share of incomplete, neglected translations.
>> Nothing wrong with that.  But comparing the one project's list of
>> active translations with another project's list of inactive ones is
>> not very fair.
>>

> Here's what I'd call a fair comparison.  Use the criterion that OOo
> used for shipping a supported language -- 90% UI completion.  By that
> criterion LO has 47 "complete" translations and AOO has 42.  This is
> not a very large difference.

I like this it highlights how the two projects have differing priorities. If we lowered our bar and they raised theirs we are roughly equal.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <ls...@gmail.com>.
hi,

On 19 February 2014 14:05, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
>>
>> Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
>>
>> If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
>> counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
>> you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
>> "support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?
>>
>> A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)
>>
>> I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
>> translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
>> 15% complete UI translations ?!
>>
>> Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
>> business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
>> comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
>> note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
>> greater results.
>>
>> Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
>> have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.
>>
>> Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
>> complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.
>>
>> Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
>> translation.  LO has only 13.
>>
>> Look at the data and make your own comparisons:
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
>>
>> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/
>

> More recently posted on the blog by the author:
>
> "italovignoli February 19, 2014 at 2:12
> am<http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/#comment-6950>
> Although the comparison was between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office, I
> have updated the table to reflect the situation at AOO provided by that
> project."
>
>  In all fairness, even if they're not complete, it's still an impressive
> list of languages LO is claiming.

:-) Your language undoes their claim. This claim of theirs is not new.
When we were doing OOo, we claimed, too, >100 languages, until I tried
insisting that we really needed to clarify what language support
meant. (Something similar occurs with format support.) Further, it
does not matter much if a language is localized to, say, Klingon (as
we tried), only to have it be forgotten by tomorrow's children and
left unmaintained. It's a truth about open source that seldom goes
acknowledged, that what counts is not what you did yesterday or even
today but what others will do with all that over the stretch of
tomorrows to come.

Let's be as ruthlessly real as possible. Money decisions, not
marketing lard, are at stake.

> Don

best
louis

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM, Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
>>
>> Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
>>
>> If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
>> counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
>> you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
>> "support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?
>>
>> A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)
>>
>> I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
>> translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
>> 15% complete UI translations ?!
>>
>> Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
>> business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
>> comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
>> note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
>> greater results.
>>
>> Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
>> have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.
>>
>> Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
>> complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.
>>
>> Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
>> translation.  LO has only 13.
>>
>> Look at the data and make your own comparisons:
>>
>> https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
>>
>> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/
>

> More recently posted on the blog by the author:
>
> "italovignoli February 19, 2014 at 2:12
> am<http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/#comment-6950>
> Although the comparison was between LibreOffice and Microsoft Office, I
> have updated the table to reflect the situation at AOO provided by that
> project."
>
>  In all fairness, even if they're not complete, it's still an impressive
> list of languages LO is claiming.

The point that we also have an impressive list of incomplete
translations as well:

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/

The main difference is that we don't release incomplete translations,
while LO does.

-Rob

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Donald Whytock <dw...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 10:09 AM, jan i <ja...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 18 February 2014 18:34, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
> >
> > Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
> >
> > If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
> > counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
> > you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
> > "support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?
> >
> > A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)
> >
> > I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
> > translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
> > 15% complete UI translations ?!
> >
> > Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
> > business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
> > comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
> > note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
> > greater results.
> >
> > Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
> > have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.
> >
> > Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
> > complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.
> >
> > Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
> > translation.  LO has only 13.
> >
> > Look at the data and make your own comparisons:
> >
> > https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
> >
> > https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/
> >

> We could also turn around at start releasing less than 100%, I got
> frustratrated with some of the releases where danish have been around 96%,
> and the missing bit was the scripting language.

Maybe our criteria  needs another round of discussion?

> If should be quite simple to group the release in 100% and less than 100%
> so users are warned.
>
> It should be noted when we say 100% it is the UI, it does not include the
> help system.

I did not know this! I thought the translations included the help system.

> But apart from that, I agree the blog is unfair and compare to give an
> advantage instead of being fair (I think that is called marketing).
>
> rgds
> jan I.

We could definitely use a rebuttal blog -- maybe something like
 "The localization strategies of Apache OpenOffice -- maximizing user
usability "

whether the FUD of this thread is referenced  or not

MzK

"Cats do not have to be shown how to have a good time,
 for they are unfailing ingenious in that respect."
                                       -- James Mason

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by jan i <ja...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Louis Suárez-Potts <lu...@gmail.com>.

On 2014-02-18, at 13:39, Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org> wrote:

> Rob Weir wrote:
>> Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
>
> The standard "Help Translate Apache OpenOffice" page
> https://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html
> is probably too fair to be sexy, but it explains well the situation in OpenOffice:
>  ---
> A list of complete, released, translations available in the most recent release of Apache OpenOffice can be found at
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> A larger list of languages, including ones where translation work is still ongoing, can be found at
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
>
> while the full list of available translations, including incomplete and dormant ones, is available at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/
>  ---
> (the latter is between 110 and 120)
>
> I know people who say they can speak a bit German just because they can count to ten in German... Yes, knowing, or supporting, a language is a matter of definition in the end.
>
> Just to put something useful in this thread, I would support the idea to make incomplete translations available in some way. This is helpful to the community. It will eventually come with genLang, but building a snapshot with all the 110+ languages (which is annoying to do with the current process, I know) would help in getting volunteers involved, as validated (but it was still an easy guess) by talking to booth visitors at FOSDEM.
>
> Regards,
>  Andrea.

I presume or hope that the above and then more from Rob and others is to find its way into our blog?

And I can point journalists to it.

It's not that I'm "tired" of the endless FUD from Italo—he apparently has little else to do or give meaning to his retirement—but that I'm depressed that the crop of tech journalists have not wised up. But then, they are getting wizened: most that rereport this crap have been doing this sort of meta-stenography now for over a decade. The new journals don't bother with this sort of thing.

louis

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Am 02/18/2014 07:39 PM, schrieb Andrea Pescetti:
> Rob Weir wrote:
>> Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
>
> The standard "Help Translate Apache OpenOffice" page
> https://openoffice.apache.org/translate.html
> is probably too fair to be sexy, but it explains well the situation in
> OpenOffice:
> ---
> A list of complete, released, translations available in the most recent
> release of Apache OpenOffice can be found at
> http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html
>
> A larger list of languages, including ones where translation work is
> still ongoing, can be found at
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
>
> while the full list of available translations, including incomplete and
> dormant ones, is available at
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/openoffice/trunk/extras/l10n/source/
> ---
> (the latter is between 110 and 120)
>
> I know people who say they can speak a bit German just because they can
> count to ten in German... Yes, knowing, or supporting, a language is a
> matter of definition in the end.
>
> Just to put something useful in this thread, I would support the idea to
> make incomplete translations available in some way. This is helpful to
> the community. It will eventually come with genLang, but building a
> snapshot with all the 110+ languages (which is annoying to do with the
> current process, I know) would help in getting volunteers involved, as
> validated (but it was still an easy guess) by talking to booth visitors
> at FOSDEM.

yes, if the build system and effort could support the building of so
many more languages I would support that wish, too.

Marcus

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Andrea Pescetti <pe...@apache.org>.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by David Gerard <dg...@gmail.com>.
On 18 February 2014 22:30, Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't understand numbers on the table.
> For example, Dzongkha.
> Where does the number, 171,300, come from?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzongkha says 171,000 native speakers as
of 2006, sourced from Ethnologue.

- d.

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Kazunari Hirano <kh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rob and all,

Heavy snow hit Japan.  How about your places?

http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
I don't understand numbers on the table.
For example, Dzongkha.
Where does the number, 171,300, come from?

Thanks,
khirano

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 2:34 AM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:

> http://www.italovignoli.org/2014/02/language-support-of-office-suites/
>
> Don't you love it when they come up with these false comparisons?
>
> If you look a little bit closer you see that they are releasing and
> counting languages where the UI is only 15% translated.  So yes, if
> you are willing to release incomplete work then you can claim to
> "support" more languages.  But what kind of support is this?
>
> A specific example:  Tartar (15% UI translated)
>
> I thought OOo had a requirement for 80% completion before releasing a
> translation.  With AOO we made the requirement be 100%.  LO releases
> 15% complete UI translations ?!
>
> Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
> business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
> comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
> note it.  It is not fair to claim lower standards are the same as
> greater results.
>
> Another example:  They've released Hebrew support at 90% complete.  We
> have Hebrew support at 96% complete, but we have not released it yet.
>
> Another example:  Our Icelandic translation (unreleased) is 95%
> complete.  Theirs (released) is only 88%.
>
> Another example:  We have 36 languages at 100% complete UI
> translation.  LO has only 13.
>
> Look at the data and make your own comparisons:
>
> https://translate.apache.org/projects/aoo40/
>
> https://translations.documentfoundation.org/projects/libo_ui/

khirano@apache.org
Apache OpenOffice
http://openoffice.apache.org

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by Fernando Cassia <fc...@gmail.com>.
On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 2:34 PM, Rob Weir <ro...@apache.org> wrote:
> Of course, we shouldn't judge their release criteria.  That is their
> business (and their users) not ours.  But when they make false
> comparisons in a table, comparing apples-to-oranges, then we ought to
> note it.

LIARS, that's the word.

FC

Durante épocas de Engaño Universal, decir la verdad se convierte en un
Acto Revolucionario
- George Orwell

Re: More annoying FUD

Posted by "Marcus (OOo)" <ma...@wtnet.de>.
Thanks a lot for your investigations. It shows that both projects have a
different view point of what an apple is and looks like.

Marcus