Posted to xml-commons-dev@xerces.apache.org by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com> on 2006/03/29 00:45:11 UTC

[PROPOSAL]: Upgrade XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4

Hi everyone,

The Xerces developers (myself included) have started planning for a
Xerces-J release which will add support for JAXP 1.4 [1][2]. JAXP 1.4 is a
minor update to JAXP 1.3; the largest technical change being the addition
of StAX (JSR 173) [3] and new Source/Result classes (see the
javax.xml.transform.stax package) which can be used with transformers and
validators. I believe Apache Harmony will eventually require JAXP 1.4 to
complete an implementation of Java SE 6.0. Other Apache projects (Axis2,
XMLBeans, etc...) are already using StAX.

With the JAXP 1.4 specification nearing finalization I propose that the
main trunk of XML Commons External be upgraded to JAXP 1.4 and a branch be
created for maintenance of JAXP 1.3 (which is what is currently on the
main trunk).

I noticed that a copy of the StAX API source is being distributed with
XMLBeans here [4] (see jsr173_1.0_api_bundle.jar) and on Apache mirror
sites. The source files contain Javadoc so it would be great if we could
use them. The README contained in the jar states that the source and
binary files are distributed under the Apache License 2.0, so it would
appear to me that the source can be included [5] in XML Commons External.
What do folks think?

Thanks.

[1] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/spec/html/
[2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/
[3] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=173
[4] http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/xmlbeans/jars/
[5] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#category-a

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Upgrade XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Never did resolve the issues with the XMLBeans jar, however in the time
since I started this thread (very long ago) the Geronimo folks wrote their
own copy of the StAX API [1][2] from scratch. If there are no objections (
lazy consensus) I plan to include these source files on the trunk and
create a branch for maintaining the 1.3 APIs on Friday.

Thanks.

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/geronimo/specs/tags/geronimo-stax-api_1.0_spec-1.0.1
/
[2] http://marc.info/?l=geronimo-dev&m=119844086803368&w=2

Michael Glavassevich
XML Parser Development
IBM Toronto Lab
E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.

[2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/source/browse/jaxp-sources/jaxp-api/src/javax/xml/stream/StreamFilter.java?rev=1.1&view=auto&content-type=text/vnd.viewcvs-markup

On 29.03.2006 00:45:11 Michael Glavassevich wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> The Xerces developers (myself included) have started planning for a
> Xerces-J release which will add support for JAXP 1.4 [1][2]. JAXP 1.4 is a
> minor update to JAXP 1.3; the largest technical change being the addition
> of StAX (JSR 173) [3] and new Source/Result classes (see the
> javax.xml.transform.stax package) which can be used with transformers and
> validators. I believe Apache Harmony will eventually require JAXP 1.4 to
> complete an implementation of Java SE 6.0. Other Apache projects (Axis2,
> XMLBeans, etc...) are already using StAX.
>
> With the JAXP 1.4 specification nearing finalization I propose that the
> main trunk of XML Commons External be upgraded to JAXP 1.4 and a branch be
> created for maintenance of JAXP 1.3 (which is what is currently on the
> main trunk).
>
> I noticed that a copy of the StAX API source is being distributed with
> XMLBeans here [4] (see jsr173_1.0_api_bundle.jar) and on Apache mirror
> sites. The source files contain Javadoc so it would be great if we could
> use them. The README contained in the jar states that the source and
> binary files are distributed under the Apache License 2.0, so it would
> appear to me that the source can be included [5] in XML Commons External.
> What do folks think?
>
> Thanks.
>
> [1] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/spec/html/
> [2] https://jaxp-sources.dev.java.net/nonav/docs/api/
> [3] http://jcp.org/en/jsr/detail?id=173
> [4] http://www.apache.org/dist/java-repository/xmlbeans/jars/
> [5] http://people.apache.org/~cliffs/3party.html#category-a
>
> Michael Glavassevich
> XML Parser Development
> IBM Toronto Lab
> E-mail: mrglavas@ca.ibm.com
> E-mail: mrglavas@apache.org

Jeremias Maerki

Re: [PROPOSAL]: Upgrade XML Commons External to JAXP 1.4

Posted by Michael Glavassevich <mr...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi Henry,

Henry Zongaro/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 03/31/2006 03:46:19 PM:

> Hi, Michael.
>
> Michael Glavassevich/Toronto/IBM@IBMCA wrote on 2006-03-28 05:45:11 PM:
> > With the JAXP 1.4 specification nearing finalization I propose that
the
> > main trunk of XML Commons External be upgraded to JAXP 1.4 and a
branch
> be
> > created for maintenance of JAXP 1.3 (which is what is currently on the

> > main trunk).
>
>      I probably ought to know the answer to this, but are there any
> changes to APIs that would break the Xalan-J GUMP build - for instance,
> new abstract methods on classes in the transform or xpath packages that
> Xalan-J's implementation classes fail to implement?

No. The only (signature) changes to existing classes in the
transform/xpath packages are the addition of static newInstance(String,
ClassLoader) methods to TransformerFactory and XPathFactory.
newInstance(String, ClassLoader) methods were also added to
DocumentBuilderFactory, SAXParserFactory, SchemaFactory and
DatatypeFactory.

Posted by Henry Zongaro <zo...@ca.ibm.com>.
Hi, Michael.