Posted to dev@lucy.apache.org by Nick Wellnhofer <we...@aevum.de> on 2014/10/25 20:03:32 UTC

[lucy-dev] CPAN installation issues

Lucifers,

I'm pretty sure that the CPAN installation issue that Peter and others
reported and that many CPAN testers are suffering from is fixed with this commit:

https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucy-clownfish.git;a=commitdiff;h=cbbee7aa5f2be6f8339119de3bb4d3f0d8757141

What went wrong is that CPAN installers were configuring the Lucy build by
running 'Build.PL' first, then figuring out the prerequisites and installing
Clownfish. The Clownfish include dirs were determined at configure time during
the construction of our subclassed Module::Build object, then serialized and
used for the rest of the build process. So if Clownfish wasn't installed when
running Build.PL, the include dir was not yet created resulting in the "Parcel
'Clownfish' required by 'Lucy' not found" error later on. This also explains
why running the installation again fixed things.

Nick

Re: [lucy-dev] CPAN installation issues

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Sat, Oct 25, 2014 at 7:05 PM, Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com> wrote:

> I look forward to a pair of release candidates where I can test on a
> fresh Perl install.

I'm happy to serve as RM again for this month's release cycle.

It will be great to get back in the green on CPAN testers.  Thanks Nick!

Marvin Humphrey

Re: [lucy-dev] CPAN installation issues

Posted by Peter Karman <pe...@peknet.com>.
On 10/25/14, 1:03 PM, Nick Wellnhofer wrote:
> Lucifers,
>
> I'm pretty sure that the CPAN installation issue that Peter and others
> reported and that many CPAN testers are suffering from is fixed with
> this commit:
>

> https://git-wip-us.apache.org/repos/asf?p=lucy-clownfish.git;a=commitdiff;h=cbbee7aa5f2be6f8339119de3bb4d3f0d8757141
>

> What went wrong is that CPAN installers were configuring the Lucy build
> by running 'Build.PL' first, then figuring out the prerequisites and
> installing Clownfish. The Clownfish include dirs were determined at
> configure time during the construction of our subclassed Module::Build
> object, then serialized and used for the rest of the build process. So
> if Clownfish wasn't installed when running Build.PL, the include dir was
> not yet created resulting in the "Parcel 'Clownfish' required by 'Lucy'
> not found" error later on. This also explains why running the
> installation again fixed things.

That explanation sounds consistent with what I experienced, definitely.