Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Werner Schalk <we...@gmx.de> on 2007/09/29 10:56:11 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache as Reverse Proxy and Single-Sign On for Tomcat

Hello,

I would like to use Apache in a rather obscure way and I hope you guys can
give me some insight on how to solve the problem I am facing.

Basically I would like to install Apache as reverse proxy in front of two
Tomcat servers (siteA and siteB) and let Apache perform some sort of
Single-Sign On. This means that I would like to perform a Basic Auth for
accessing siteA and give a user access to siteB if (and only if) he has been
successfully authenticated to siteA before. Of course I could use the same
realm for both sites and thus achieve some sort of easy login for both apps.
However I would like to send a forbidden message to the user if he tries to
access siteB directly which is not possible with the same realm. I thought
of some mod_rewrite magic but I am unsure how this could be done and whether
the look-ahead function could be useful. Any ideas on this?

Thanks and bye,
Werner.