Posted to dev@jmeter.apache.org by Philippe Mouawad <p....@ubik-ingenierie.com> on 2018/07/05 20:47:19 UTC

Release 5.0 ?

Hello,

We have currently 64 bugs/enhancements implemented in trunk that would
deserve a Major new version 5.0 :

   - https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_
   status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&
   component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=
   Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_
   milestone=JMETER_4.1
   <https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_milestone=JMETER_4.1>

I think last commits deserve a deep review /tests related to :

   - Flow Control Action
   - Result Status Action
   - Iterating Controllers

If nobody finds a bug, the new version 5.0 should be released.

I propose to send a mail on user mailing list with following content:

We'd like to release a new version 5.0 with following enhancements /
bugfixes.
We'd like tests and feedback from users.
If you'd like to help testing, you can download a nightly build tomorrow:

   - https://ci.apache.org/projects/jmeter/nightlies/

Test particularly:

   - Recording
   - Flow Control Action (old Test Action)
   - Result Status Action (break loop, switch to next iteration of current
   loop)
   - While Controller / Loop Controller / Foreach Controller

We'll be waiting for 10 days.

Regards.
Philippe  M.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Regarding GPG signing, I use a removable drive to hold the private key.
Provide the path name on the Ant command line:
-Dgpg.secretKeyring=path-to-keyring

On macos one can also use a password protected disk image file which
is only mounted when needed.

For Maven passwords (e.g. Nexus upload) one can use the relocation
feature in ~/.m2/settings-security.xml:

<settingsSecurity>
  <relocation>path to real settings-security.xml</relocation>
</settingsSecurity>

Note that it is vital that the signing is done on the user's own system.
** Check with Infra, but I think they also require the build to be
done on the user's system. **

Regarding svnmucc on macos, I think I used the WANDisco build which includes it.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
I've completed New and Noteworthy section.

Regards

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Great.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,
We now have 90 enhancements/bugfixes.

The flaky nightly builds are now fine since the bug was fixed.

So I think we can safely release this long awaited 5.0 version.

@Milamber <mi...@gmail.com> , are you still ok for creating the
release ?

Regards
Thanks

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Milamber <mi...@apache.org>.

On 28/08/2018 19:58, Philippe Mouawad wrote:
> Hello,
> Pinging again on this.
> JMeter 4.0 is now 6 month away and we have a very decent version with 39
> Enhancements and 45 Bug fixes.
>
> The pending issues already existed and are not blocking IMO. I've been
> using JMeter 5.0 for load testing without issue.
>
> 1/ When can we start the release process ?

When we decide together. This week if PMCs are agree.

> 2/ I think it would also be a good occasion to look with a critical eye at
> this release process to find ways to reduce its complexity and duration
>
>     - too manual, too much setup:
>        - See https://wiki.apache.org/jmeter/ReleaseCreation
>        - I for example would like to do this one time but I am on mac and
>        don't want to scratch my head just to find and install  svnmucc

You can setup a linux virtual machine or a linux docker container into
your mac, and make the release distribution.

>        - every time there is at least a RC0 that is burnt because of some
>        manual step or a broken file svn:eol....

You're right. A lot of steps are manual...

>        - how could we improve ?:
>        - jenkins job ?
>        - docker image for release ?
>        - Other ideas ?

If you looks the release steps, you can see a lot of steps with the need
of an authentication : svn, maven upload, RC gpg sign. So if you want
automate these, that would be difficult (or not possible) because the
credentials must be provided.

Thus, a lot of steps are manual because the step need an human checks
(javadoc warning, archive checks, RAT report, etc)

And some steps are manual and (AFAIK) cannot be automate like the Nexus
release action

Perhaps add a Dockerfile to the project can help to have an local build
environment without the matter of OS of the developer machine. (we have
this way under the CloudStack project)

Otherwise, migrate the project to apache gitbox/github could provide a
different way to build the release and perhaps reduce some manual steps.

Milamber

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Felix,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, Jul 28, 2018 at 6:49 PM, Felix Schumacher <

> Am Samstag, den 28.07.2018, 17:29 +0200 schrieb Philippe Mouawad:
> > Hello,
> >
> > @Felix, I reviewed the PR for the 62463, it looks good to me.
> > We could release with 62570 not fixed as it's an enhancement
>
> The fix for 62463 is only a partial fix. Try to run a distributed load
> test with fixed rmi port in the GUI. You will get exceptions, as the
> (remote) listeners will be instantiated more than one time and try to
> bind to the same fixed port.
>
> I am not sure to understand exactly what the bug is .

I recently ran a NON Gui distributed test and had no issues.
Do it happens with any test plan, only in GUI mode ... ?

It is not clear to me, what we should do with those listeners.

Which ones ?

> 1) they seem to be intended rather globally, but are local to a thread
> group. I think this is odd, at least
>
> 2) the should probably not be instantiated (cloned?) more than once in
> a test run
>
> What was the original intention for those listeners? Can they be
> implemented as global singleton like objects? If not, how is the other
> side of the remote connection able to distinguish those objects?
>
> For 62570 (enhancement related to validity of CA), I think I would be a
> good idea to add the hint about the property to the dialog that appears
> after the creation of a new CA. All further enhancements on this case
> can wait.

yes, ok for me.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for feedback.

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Jmeter Tea <jm...@gmail.com>.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

--
Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Jmeter Tea <jm...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Felix Schumacher <fe...@internetallee.de>.

> Hi Feiix,
>
> My answers inline below
>
> On Saturday, July 7, 2018, Felix Schumacher <
> felix.schumacher@internetallee.de> wrote:
>

>> Am 5. Juli 2018 22:47:19 MESZ schrieb Philippe Mouawad <
>> p.mouawad@ubik-ingenierie.com>:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> We have currently 64 bugs/enhancements implemented in trunk that would
>>> deserve a Major new version 5.0 :
>> Some people are more inclined to install a dot x release (like 4.1) as
>> they believe them to be more stable.
>
> On the opposite, lot of people think 4.1 would be minor (bug fix mainly) ,
> and lot of blogs said about 3.0 and 4.0 that Jmeter had taken 10 years to
> release a major version.
>
> That’s why I think it’s better for « marketing » reason to release a 5.0
>
> But it’s not the only reason.
> I believe this version deserves a major number:
> - The httpclient new Api migration
> - Report : New graph and Custom graphs
> - XPath 2
> - the flow control improvements which will hopefully ease many use cases
> - Search improvements. I’ve been using it and it’s a big usability
> improvement for correlation
> - recorder enhancement, this really also makes life easier
>
> So I believe this 4.1 version would not be a correct version number as due
> to the new features and hc4 api migration it might require a bugfix version
> 5.1.
>

> But if you feel I am wrong, it’s not a problem to name it 4.1.
> i mentionned 5.0 in a tweet and here.
> 4.1 is mentioned in lot of stackoverflow answers and tweets.
It is just a number :)
I am fine with - almost - any number we use.

>> But as you already anounced that the next version will be called 5.0, I
>> guess it will be 5.0.
>>
>>>    - https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_
>>>    status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&
>>>    component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=
>>> Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_
>>>    milestone=JMETER_4.1
>>> <https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_
>> status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&
>> component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=
>> Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_
>> milestone=JMETER_4.1>
>>> I think last commits deserve a deep review /tests related to :
>>>
>>>    - Flow Control Action
>>>    - Result Status Action
>>>    - Iterating Controllers
>>>
>>> If nobody finds a bug, the new version 5.0 should be released.
>> I think we should have a look at the rmi port usage problems with the
>> listeners.
>
> what is the bug number for it ?
62463 I will add a patch to that entry, but it will probably not be the
full monty.
I will first look at the offset for the used ports. Second would be to
hinder the listeners from re-registering.

Regards,
  Felix

Re: Release 5.0 ?

Posted by Philippe Mouawad <ph...@gmail.com>.
Hi Feiix,

My answers inline below

On Saturday, July 7, 2018, Felix Schumacher <

> Am 5. Juli 2018 22:47:19 MESZ schrieb Philippe Mouawad <
> p.mouawad@ubik-ingenierie.com>:
> >Hello,
> >
> >We have currently 64 bugs/enhancements implemented in trunk that would
> >deserve a Major new version 5.0 :
>
> Some people are more inclined to install a dot x release (like 4.1) as
> they believe them to be more stable.

On the opposite, lot of people think 4.1 would be minor (bug fix mainly) ,
and lot of blogs said about 3.0 and 4.0 that Jmeter had taken 10 years to
release a major version.

That’s why I think it’s better for « marketing » reason to release a 5.0

But it’s not the only reason.
I believe this version deserves a major number:
- The httpclient new Api migration
- Report : New graph and Custom graphs
- XPath 2
- the flow control improvements which will hopefully ease many use cases
- Search improvements. I’ve been using it and it’s a big usability
improvement for correlation
- recorder enhancement, this really also makes life easier

So I believe this 4.1 version would not be a correct version number as due
to the new features and hc4 api migration it might require a bugfix version
5.1.

But if you feel I am wrong, it’s not a problem to name it 4.1.
i mentionned 5.0 in a tweet and here.
4.1 is mentioned in lot of stackoverflow answers and tweets.

> But as you already anounced that the next version will be called 5.0, I
> guess it will be 5.0.
>

> >   - https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_
> >   status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&
> >   component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=
> >Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_
> >   milestone=JMETER_4.1
> ><https://bz.apache.org/bugzilla/buglist.cgi?bug_
> status=RESOLVED&bug_status=VERIFIED&bug_status=CLOSED&
> component=HTTP&component=Main&list_id=170488&order=
> Importance&product=JMeter&query_format=advanced&resolution=FIXED&target_
> milestone=JMETER_4.1>
> >
> >I think last commits deserve a deep review /tests related to :
> >
> >   - Flow Control Action
> >   - Result Status Action
> >   - Iterating Controllers
> >
> >If nobody finds a bug, the new version 5.0 should be released.
>
> I think we should have a look at the rmi port usage problems with the
> listeners.

what is the bug number for it ?

Thanks

> Regards,
>  Felix
>

> >I propose to send a mail on user mailing list with following content:

> >We'd like to release a new version 5.0 with following enhancements /
> >bugfixes.
> >We'd like tests and feedback from users.
> >If you'd like to help testing, you can download a nightly build
> >tomorrow:
> >
> >   - https://ci.apache.org/projects/jmeter/nightlies/
> >
> >Test particularly:
> >
> >   - Recording
> >   - Flow Control Action (old Test Action)
> >- Result Status Action (break loop, switch to next iteration of current
> >   loop)
> >   - While Controller / Loop Controller / Foreach Controller
> >
> >We'll be waiting for 10 days.

Cordialement.
Philippe Mouawad.

Re: Release 5.0 ?