Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Raymond Wan <rw...@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp> on 2006/08/22 12:11:25 UTC

SA settings

Hi all,

 	Not pertaining to Debian (I think)...  I was wondering in what
order are SA's settings read in.  Is this correct:

1)  /etc/spamassassin/init.pre
2)  /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
3)  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf
4)  ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

 	I also have a v310.pre and a v312.pre in /etc/spamassassin/.  As I
am running v3.1.3, can I assume they are backups of init.pre?  I suppose
if I change #1-#3, I have to restart the daemon, but not #4?

 	I read in the FAQ that changes to #4 are not read by the SA daemon
unless allow_user_rules is turned on.  As the root user of a single-user
system, should I turn it on (what is the reason for turning it off other
than potentially slowing down the system; is there a security reason?) or
should I move everything to #2?

 	The only thing important in user_prefs is:

# Speakers of Asian languages, like Chinese, Japanese and Korean, will almost
# definitely want to uncomment the following lines.  They will switch off some
# rules that detect 8-bit characters, which commonly trigger on mails using CJK
# character sets, or that assume a western-style charset is in use.
#
#score HTML_COMMENT_8BITS       0
score UPPERCASE_25_50           0
score UPPERCASE_50_75           0
score UPPERCASE_75_100  0
score OBSCURED_EMAIL          0

 	which I honestly don't know what it means...  :)

Ray

Re: SA settings

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Wed, Aug 23, 2006 at 12:27:44AM +0900, Raymond Wan wrote:
> >No, they aren't backups of init.pre, they're pre files that got added in
> >3.1.0
> >and 3.1.2.
>
> 	Oh?  You mean they're cummulative?  When you upgrade to a new
> version, the new init.pre doesn't include the old ones?

Yes and no.  The pre files are cumulative, in the same way that cf files
are -- they're all read in.  However, there is no "new" init.pre file.
The issue being that people change init.pre, so a new install can't just
overwrite the file since it'll destroy the changes, and it also can't
just create a init.pre.new since potentially important new plugins won't
be loaded.  So we just create a new v###.pre file for any release that
has new plugins.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"This is a kinder, gentler Federal Bureau of Investigation ..." - Jim Duncan

Re: SA settings

Posted by Raymond Wan <rw...@kuicr.kyoto-u.ac.jp>.
Hi Theo,

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Theo Van Dinter wrote:
>> 1)  /etc/spamassassin/init.pre
>> 2)  /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
>> 3)  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf
>> 4)  ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs
>
> You could just read the "spamassassin" documentation which talks about all of
> this. :)
>
> But to answer your question, it'd be 1, 3, 2, 4.

 	Ah, sorry.  I guess I didn't go through the documentation well
enough.  Thank you for answering my query!

>> 	I also have a v310.pre and a v312.pre in /etc/spamassassin/.  As I
>> am running v3.1.3, can I assume they are backups of init.pre?  I suppose
>> if I change #1-#3, I have to restart the daemon, but not #4?
>
> No, they aren't backups of init.pre, they're pre files that got added in 3.1.0
> and 3.1.2.

 	Oh?  You mean they're cummulative?  When you upgrade to a new
version, the new init.pre doesn't include the old ones?

>> score UPPERCASE_25_50           0
>> score UPPERCASE_50_75           0
>> score UPPERCASE_75_100  0
>> score OBSCURED_EMAIL          0
>>
>> 	which I honestly don't know what it means...  :)
>
> Those rules are being disabled.  Though if you don't know what it means, why
> do you have the lines in your personal config? ;)

 	Well, in user_prefs, above these lines, it says:

# Speakers of Asian languages, like Chinese, Japanese and Korean, will almost
# definitely want to uncomment the following lines.  They will switch off some
# rules that detect 8-bit characters, which commonly trigger on mails using CJK
# character sets, or that assume a western-style charset is in use.

 	As I receive e-mails in Japanese every day, I just thought I
should do what it says.  But yes, without reading more than what these
comments say.  I'll read about what they say before enabling them, then.
Thanks!

Ray

Re: SA settings

Posted by Theo Van Dinter <fe...@apache.org>.
On Tue, Aug 22, 2006 at 07:11:25PM +0900, Raymond Wan wrote:
> 	Not pertaining to Debian (I think)...  I was wondering in what
> order are SA's settings read in.  Is this correct:
>
> 1)  /etc/spamassassin/init.pre
> 2)  /etc/spamassassin/local.cf
> 3)  /usr/share/spamassassin/*.cf
> 4)  ~/.spamassassin/user_prefs

You could just read the "spamassassin" documentation which talks about all of
this. :)

But to answer your question, it'd be 1, 3, 2, 4.

> 	I also have a v310.pre and a v312.pre in /etc/spamassassin/.  As I
> am running v3.1.3, can I assume they are backups of init.pre?  I suppose
> if I change #1-#3, I have to restart the daemon, but not #4?

No, they aren't backups of init.pre, they're pre files that got added in 3.1.0
and 3.1.2.  As for restarting, yes, that's correct.

> 	I read in the FAQ that changes to #4 are not read by the SA daemon
> unless allow_user_rules is turned on.  As the root user of a single-user

Not exactly, user_prefs is read, but some config options aren't allowed in
user_prefs such as creating rules, etc.

> system, should I turn it on (what is the reason for turning it off other
> than potentially slowing down the system; is there a security reason?) or
> should I move everything to #2?

If you don't need to enable it, don't enable it.  The docs talk about this.

> score UPPERCASE_25_50           0
> score UPPERCASE_50_75           0
> score UPPERCASE_75_100  0
> score OBSCURED_EMAIL          0
>
> 	which I honestly don't know what it means...  :)

Those rules are being disabled.  Though if you don't know what it means, why
do you have the lines in your personal config? ;)

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
I had a cat once...  It tasted like chicken.