Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Andoni <an...@eurokom.ie> on 2004/11/10 12:58:49 UTC

Speed of tags.

Hello,

I have an application which is just a front-end for a main-frame. The process on the mainframe which my application calls takes 8 seconds to complete so I am trying to make my Java application as fast as possible so that there is as little time as possible wasted.

Can anybody give any tips or sites for speeding up Tomcat/Java/Webapps?

Can anybody tell me if using <jsp:useBean> tags to pass an entire object to a JSP is a slow way of doing things? Am I quicker passing a list of strings using various request.setAttribute() methods? Or is this insignificant?

I am really stuck because I don't know how to choose the best way of going forward. If I can't significantly improve the speed of the app. I should just abandon the project but that is not desirable as you can imagine!

Andoni.

RE: Speed of tags.

Posted by José Luis <jo...@generagroup.com>.
Hi Andoni,
	i have a proliant server and when i installed tomcat at first time this runs slow, taking few seconds to complete one request. Change config of Tomcat and JVM. Use programs like Jmeter to measure your system performance.

This link help you to improve JVM performance.
http://www.wilsonmar.com/1javagc.htm

About tomcat, change the connector properties in server.xml:
	port="8080"
	minProcessors="50"	<---- adjust min and max processors
	maxProcessors="500"	<----
      enableLookups="false"	<---- adjust this to false
	redirectPort="8443"
      acceptCount="10"
	debug="0"
	connectionTimeout="2000"
      useURIValidationHack="false"/>

In addition i read that change JSP tomcat compiler by other faster like Jikes, increase the general performance.
I'm installing Jikes at this time and i'm searching a better performance for my system.
Other solutions that i'll try are:
- DB connection pool.
- Tomcat clustering with 2 servers.

I have an application which is just a front-end for a main-frame. The process on the mainframe which my application calls takes 8 seconds to complete so I am trying to make my Java application as fast as possible so that there is as little time as possible wasted.

Can anybody give any tips or sites for speeding up Tomcat/Java/Webapps?

Can anybody tell me if using <jsp:useBean> tags to pass an entire object to a JSP is a slow way of doing things? Am I quicker passing a list of strings using various request.setAttribute() methods? Or is this insignificant?

I am really stuck because I don't know how to choose the best way of going forward. If I can't significantly improve the speed of the app. I should just abandon the project but that is not desirable as you can imagine!

Andoni.

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---