Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Joris Kinable <de...@gmail.com> on 2015/05/26 23:27:00 UTC

Trouble with excludes

Dear,

I'm trying to set up my first maven project for my code which can be found
here:
https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib

I have 3 pom files:
https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib/blob/master/pom.xml
https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib/blob/master/jorlib-core/pom.xml
https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib/blob/master/jorlib-demo/pom.xml

I would like to exclude all files in the following directory from both
compilation and testing (but the sources need to be retained):
jorlib-core/src/test/java/org/jorlib/frameworks/columnGeneration/tsp

I've tried to include pretty much every <exclude> ... </exclude> pattern I
could think of to the following plugins:
<plugin>
<version>3.1</version>
<configuration>
<source>1.8</source>
<target>1.8</target>
</configuration>
</plugin>
in https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib/blob/master/pom.xml

and

<plugin>
  <version>2.4</version>
  <configuration>
      <archive>

 <manifestFile>${project.build.outputDirectory}/META-INF/MANIFEST.MF</manifestFile>
      </archive>
  </configuration>
</plugin>
in https://github.com/jkinable/jorlib/blob/master/jorlib-core/pom.xml

Yet "mvn package" keeps compiling (and crashing) on files in the directory
jorlib-core/src/test/java/org/jorlib/frameworks/columnGeneration/tsp
Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thank you,

Joris

Re: Trouble with excludes

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
On 26/05/2015 9:11 PM, Joris Kinable wrote:
> testExcludes:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-compiler-plugin/testCompile-mojo.html#testExcludes
> "A list of exclusion filters for the compiler."
>
> It must be a fairly easy task to tell maven to exclude a particular
> directory from compiling.
>
> I think there are 2 very simple use cases:
> 1. your build your project using maven, however the build fails because one
> of the unit tests fails: you may want to temporarily disable running the
> unit test without deleting the unit test.
Easier to comment out the test.
> 2. your build fails because your unit test fails to compile: you may want
> to temporarily disable compiling the unit test.
Maven can skip all tests at the command line.

Re: Trouble with excludes

Posted by Joris Kinable <de...@gmail.com>.
The solution appears to be simple. The following code suffices:

<plugin>
<version>3.3</version>
<configuration>
<source>1.8</source>
<target>1.8</target>
<testExcludes>
  <exclude>**/org/jorlib/frameworks/columnGeneration/tsp/**/*</exclude>
</testExcludes>
</configuration>
</plugin>

This didn't work for me because somewhere else in my code I had a lonely
import statement which imported a file from the directory I wanted to
exclude. Albeit this particular file wasn't used at all (I just forgot to
delete the import statement), the import statement alone caused maven to
compile the excluded directory anyway. Makes me wonder why maven doesn't
detect this 'clash'? Nevertheless I'm happy to report that my problem is
solved.

Re: Trouble with excludes

Posted by Joris Kinable <de...@gmail.com>.
testExcludes: