Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com> on 2003/07/15 14:14:08 UTC

Checkstyle Warnings

Some of you might have noticed that I have been doing a lot of
cleanup, adding java docs, removing unused imports, etc to get rid of
checkstyle warnings.

I must say that it is *ROYALLY* annoying to do an update in the
morning to see that the warning count has gone up again.

Would you guys (and girls) just please install the checkstyle plugin
and make sure code that your checkin is free of warnings.

There's a mail in the archive from Andreas that outlines what you'll
have to do.

Another possibility would be to add the checkstyle check to the
pre-commit checking, i.e. you wouldn't be able to check anything in if
it doesn't pass the checkstyle checks. That might be a little bit
radical (but very effective :-)).

--
Christian Egli       christian.egli@wyona.com   +41 1 272 9161
                     Wyona AG, Hardstrasse 219, CH-8005 Zurich

Re: Checkstyle Warnings

Posted by Christian Egli <ch...@wyona.com>.
Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk> writes:

> A semi serious question - is Eclipse the "recommended" IDE for Lenya?
> I personally use vi/emacs and the command line. Perhaps I am showing my age.

I wouldn't go as far as saying that 'Eclipse is the "recommended" IDE
for Lenya'. It just boosts your productivity _tremendously_. I'm an
Emacs person in a big way, but after having seen Eclipse it was
impossible to remain truthful to Emacs (at least for Java editing).

Re: Checkstyle Warnings

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
> A semi serious question - is Eclipse the "recommended" IDE for Lenya?
> I personally use vi/emacs and the command line. Perhaps I am showing my
> age.

yes. we are increasingly utilizing its unit testing features. granted
these can be done by hand in other environments, but why put more
roadblocks between a developer and his unit tests..

same for checkstyle, checks if methods are deprecated etc. basically a
lot of grunt work that can be automated.

hope this helps,

-gregor

--
Gregor J. Rothfuss
Wyona Ltd.  -   Open Source Content Management   -   Apache Lenya

Re: Checkstyle Warnings

Posted by Alex McLintock <al...@OWAL.co.uk>.
At 18:12 15/07/03, you wrote:
>Christian Egli wrote:
>
>>Another possibility would be to add the checkstyle check to the
>>pre-commit checking, i.e. you wouldn't be able to check anything in if
>>it doesn't pass the checkstyle checks. That might be a little bit
>>radical (but very effective :-)).
>
>+1 since not all of us have switched to eclipse yet

A semi serious question - is Eclipse the "recommended" IDE for Lenya?
I personally use vi/emacs and the command line. Perhaps I am showing my age.

Alex

Re: Checkstyle Warnings

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.