Posted to user@ofbiz.apache.org by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com> on 2010/09/14 08:25:50 UTC

selling tokens for services

I would like to be able to sell tokens for services using ofbiz.

A customer will buy a token (e.g. for £30).  The token will allow
unlimited access to a single resource (e.g. downloading a particular
document/book) as many times as the customer requires.  Therefore, the
token is tied to a resource id.

Is there already a similar concept in ofbiz that I could use as the
basis for my requirements?  Maybe the gift certificate functionality?

Many thanks,

Chris

Re: selling tokens for services

Posted by Ruth Hoffman <rh...@aesolves.com>.
  Hi Chris:

Your solution sounds very plausible. Are the tokens unique across all
products? Like a license key? If so, you might want to think about using
serialized inventory to hold them. And then the inventory logic can keep
track of when one is sold and which product it is associated with. But,
since you don't have to worry about returns, you might not need these
inventory features. And if the tokens are just to identify people and
not product relationship(s) - like a license key -  then you probably
don't need inventory at all. So, IMHO I think what you've come up with
makes a lot of sense.

Yes: There is a Catalog Manager setting to turn on/off support for
returns. Sets a field in the Product entity "returnable".

Good luck. Please let us know how things work out!

Regards,
Ruth

Posted by chris snow <ch...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ruth,