Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dan <da...@mcenter.com> on 2005/02/28 22:35:31 UTC

Need access to classes outside Tomcat for JSPs

Classpath problem.  Really frustrating.

I'm trying to duplicate a setup on system A to system B and can't get it
working.  My problem is when I access the JSP page, Tomcat complains of a
ClassNotFound exception.  This happens with all of my custom classes.  If I
create a simple JSP page with no custom classes the JSP compiles fine.

When I manually execute the class via "java com.xxx.MyClass" it responds
appropriately (my environment's CLASSPATH includes the custom library paths).

My custom classes live outside of the Tomcat directory (see below) because
I use these classes in other non-web based applications, so they need to be
available system wide.

I have melted my brain today trying to figure out why system A works with
this configuration but system B gives me the ClassNotFound exception.   I
have even copied my entire Tomcat directory from system A to system B with
no change.  I thought perhaps I was starting the service with additional
parameters but I don't see any in the registry settings.

Does anyone have an educated guess as to why I can't get this thing to work
the way it's working on the other system and/or how I can get this working
with my custom classes OUTSIDE of Tomcat.

Win2K SP4
Tomcat v5.0.27 as NT Service

e:\java\tomcat
e:\java\sdk     (JDK 1.4.2)
e:\java\library\custom\      (custom libraries)
e:\java\library\basic       (libraries from other sources)

Re: Help with tomcat on windoze/nfs

Posted by Jason Bainbridge <jb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 15:51:18 -0600, Randy Paries
<ra...@unitnet.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have the unfortunate opportunity of having to set up tomcat on windoze
> (sorry I am a linux bigot)
>
> I have this servlet that has to run a windows program. (that works fine)
>
> I have to create a directory on a NFS mount.

>From memory no matter what you try a mapped drive won't work but I
believe if you use the UNC name ie. \\Server\Share and then run Tomcat
under an account that has Network privileges and access to that share
so LocalSystem won't be good enough.

Jason Bainbridge
http://kde.org - webmaster@kde.org
Personal Site - http://jasonbainbridge.com

Re: Need access to classes outside Tomcat for JSPs

Posted by David Smith <dn...@cornell.edu>.
Well, not to be "rude", but your design choice is IMHO, poor.  Build
tools are available and designed to handle version control -- which is
what I read as the reason for your reluctance to include the classes
directly in the webapp.  Every few months, I see someone come on the
list asking what you are asking and the advice is always the same: Don't
do it that way.

Good luck in your efforts.  Just don't expect a lot of help on this.

--David

Posted by Dan <da...@mcenter.com>.
You could do it that way but I don't feel that placing "common" resources
in a specific application directory is the proper approach.

For example, if I had shared dlls that are used for Microsoft Office, I
wouldn't place them into the Word application's directory.

Posted by Tim Funk <fu...@joedog.org>.

Posted by Dan <da...@mcenter.com>.
My apologies for being over the edge, but after pulling my hair out for the
last few days and reading all kinds of web and USENET postings, along with
searching the list archives, I came across all kinds of writings that did
not address the issue of if (and how) this could be done, most just say to
put them in the WEB-INF or the "shared" directories of TomCat.

I know it can be done because that's the way I have my other box setup
now.  My "shared" classes are in E:\java\library.  My WEB-INF\classes
directory is empty, and TomCat compiles the JSPs fine.  But for the life of
me I cannot duplicate this setup on the new box.  That's what really makes
this frustrating.  I've done a system search for files containing
"library\custom" and nothing relevant shows up.  Searching the registry
turns up nothing as well.

The only tidbit that I've come across is that parameter "java.class.path"
is ignored when running as a service, instead "Imagepath" can specify a
classpath.  But I don't remember doing this on my other machine, and my
registry entries for the service don't show any additional startup
parameters.  I wonder if procrun stores these values someplace else, but if
so it's not stored anyplace within the Tomcat directory since I've copied
the entire Tomcat directory from the "working" box to this box.

Re: Need access to classes outside Tomcat for JSPs

Posted by Dan <da...@mcenter.com>.
Do people read anymore?

Posted by Parsons Technical Services <pa...@earthlink.net>.
How are you starting Tomcat?