Posted to dev@sis.apache.org by Adam Estrada <es...@gmail.com> on 2014/10/11 17:03:13 UTC

Geometry Support

All,

We got another Jira ticket[1] to add enhance the geometry support in
SIS.  Does anyone want to volunteer porting this over from GeoToolkit?

Thanks!
Adam

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SIS-183

Re: Geometry Support

Posted by Martin Desruisseaux <ma...@geomatys.fr>.
Hello Adam

Thanks for the note about geometry support. Yes indeed, this is a very
important topic. For the geometry projection info (including referencing
WKT parsing), this is actually an independent topic which is the subject
of sis-referencing module. This work exists in Geotk and its port to
sis-referencing will continue as soon as I have finished metadata.

For two dimensional geometries in a Cartesian space, there is a library
by ESRI under Apache 2 license which can be used as a starting point.
This is the library currently used by the sis-shapefile module.

For three dimensional geometries, or for two-dimensional geometries in a
curved space like Earth surface, we may have to write from scratch. 2
PhD students worked on this topic, but we still have no production-ready
library. However the ISO 19107 specification is under revision and not
yet completed. It may be preferable to wait for a stable version before
to work on it. In the main time, maybe the ESRI library can be used?

    Martin

[1] https://github.com/Esri/geometry-api-java