Posted to user@hadoop.apache.org by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk> on 2012/11/08 07:00:07 UTC

Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Hi,

I am planning to use Ubuntu 12.04, from http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HadoopJavaVersions, about OpenJDK

"Note*: OpenJDK6 has some open bugs w.r.t handling of generics... so OpenJDK cannot be used to compile hadoop mapreduce code in branch-0.23 and beyond, please use other JDKs."

Is it OK to use OpenJDK 7 in Ubuntu 12.04?

Thanks

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK? and some more

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

After spending time to research Hadoop and Hbase JDK requirements, here is my advice about using Ubuntu 12.04:

1) If you plan to use HBase on Hadoop HDFS, do note that HBase will run on Oracle's JDK only, so do NOT use OpenJDK or other JDKs for the setup.
2) When installing Ubuntu, should NOT use LVM (Linux Logical Volume Manager) for Hadoop data disks! (There will be performance issue between the filesystem and the device, LVM is the default for some Linux package, be careful not to select LVM)

regards

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Hi,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Mohammad Tariq <do...@gmail.com>.
Hi there,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by "ac@hsk.hk" <ac...@hsk.hk>.
Thanks Harsh,

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.
Recommend JDK 1.6.3x, 1.7 has serval issues within NIO and I wouldn't use them in production, OpenJDK has sometimes a odd behavior and IBM's JDK - no.

cheers,
 Alex

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
Hi Sanjeev,

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Alexander Lorenz <wg...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexander Alten-Lorenz
http://mapredit.blogspot.com

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Sanjeev Verma <sa...@gmail.com>.

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?

Posted by Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>.
I don't think OpenJDK 7 has been as extensively tested as OpenJDK 6
for Hadoop. I'd recommend staying on 1.6-based JVMs if you have a prod
goal for this cluster, but otherwise, you could give OpenJDK 7 a try
and let us know.

--
Harsh J

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 - Which JDK?