Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by csanders <cs...@hoovers.com> on 2008/05/02 16:50:51 UTC

velocity.properties

Is there anyway we can set relative paths in this file ?  This is the
only configuration file out of dozens that doesn't support this and its
making deployment a serious pain.

Or can I use environmental variables in this file ?  That would work also.

If not - how much development would it take to get this to work ?  It
might be worth it for us to contribute this to Velocity.

Thanks,
Charlie

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
for VelocityTools 2 (the WebappResourceLoader), this would look like this:

resource.loader = webapp
webapp.resource.loader.class =
org.apache.velocity.tools.view.WebappResourceLoader

and would look for templates in the webapp's root.  if you want to,
for instance, hide the templates in ${webappRoot}/WEB-INF/templates,
then do this:

webapp.resource.loader.path = /WEB-INF/templates/

multiple paths are supported, just like FileResourceLoader.  caching
and reloading only work in an exploded WAR deployment, of course.
i've never compared performance, but it's really outside the concern
of the loader.  the difference is that you are getting data from
ServletContext.getResourceAsStream() instead FileInputStream.  so, to
compare performance would just be to compare getting resources from
your servlet container vs getting them direct from the file system.  i
can't imagine there is a noteworthy difference.

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by csanders <cs...@hoovers.com>.

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by csanders <cs...@hoovers.com>.
Ok, I will try to add this within the next week.

Thanks,
Charlie

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 1:42 PM, Will Glass-Husain
<wg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey-- would love to see the ability to include system properties in
>  velocity.properties.  I use that feature in log4j.properties all the time.
>
>  (Incidentally, it's always dangerous to credit individual authorship in an
>  open source project.  Jason Van Zyl, Jon Stevens and Daniel Rall were the
>  original creators, with Geir following soon after.)

hey, what's life without a little danger? :)

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@gmail.com>.

Re: velocity.properties

Posted by Nathan Bubna <nb...@gmail.com>.