Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Davide Galletti <da...@gmail.com> on 2013/01/15 18:31:18 UTC

Introduction of myself and MARKOS project

Hi everybody,

my name is Davide Galletti and I am working on a EEC funded research
project named MARKOS;

"MARKOS intends to realize the prototype of an automatic service
providing an integrated view
on the Open Source projects available on the web, focusing on
functional, structural and licenses
aspects of the software code released by the projects."
More detail and updates on http://www.markosproject.eu/

Within MARKOS I will realize a component called "Crawler" which will be
responsilble for
gathering as much informationon OSS Projects as possible from forges,
metaforges and any
source we might find interesting. The first release is expected in 2013,
and development will
continue till the end of 2014, of course with an OSS license.
We expect to contribute also in other directions; for instance we might
consider helping
out Apache on the maintenance of the DOAP files of their projects.

I would be happy the Crawler component could become useful to the Allura
Platform; the benefit
would be that the user searching on Allura would find also projects
hosted elsewhere; within
Allura there could be a detail page on the project from which the user
could eventually jump
to the external project or download pages.

If this makes sense, I hope that you will keep an eye on this project
and maybe also give me
some hints,

Thanks for now, cheers,

Davide

Re: Introduction of myself and MARKOS project

Posted by Davide Galletti <da...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Rich, Santiago and Tim for the reply and information.

Development will likely start in few weeks time and well'certainly look
at the forgepastebin
example and refer to the list for other questions; I have written to
Rich for the Apache DOAP
issue and will write to Santiago with some details about the software
requisites,

Cheers,

Davide

Posted by Tim Van Steenburgh <tv...@gmail.com>.
Hi Davide and Santiago,

--
Tim Van Steenburgh

Posted by Santiago Lizardo <ad...@santiagolizardo.com>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.
On Jan 15, 2013, at 12:31 PM, Davide Galletti wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> my name is Davide Galletti and I am working on a EEC funded research project named MARKOS;

Welcome!

> Within MARKOS I will realize a component called "Crawler" which will be responsilble for
> gathering as much informationon OSS Projects as possible from forges, metaforges and any
> source we might find interesting. The first release is expected in 2013, and development will
> continue till the end of 2014, of course with an OSS license.
> We expect to contribute also in other directions; for instance we might consider helping
> out Apache on the maintenance of the DOAP files of their projects.

I'm very interested in this. In fact, just last week I was looking at the DOAP listing (https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/infrastructure/site-tools/trunk/projects/files.xml) and noticed that numerous projects are missing. We'd love to see that list be complete.

> I would be happy the Crawler component could become useful to the Allura Platform; the benefit
> would be that the user searching on Allura would find also projects hosted elsewhere; within
> Allura there could be a detail page on the project from which the user could eventually jump
> to the external project or download pages.
>
> If this makes sense, I hope that you will keep an eye on this project and maybe also give me
> some hints,

We'd love to see more of your ideas in this direction. I'm more on the community side than technical, so I'll leave it to others to give you specific technical direction, but mostly, we'd love to see you jump in and make things happen.

--
Rich Bowen
rbowen@rcbowen.com
Shosholoza