Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by dhavalkumar thakker <dh...@xsmail.com> on 2006/07/26 10:45:10 UTC

deploying webservice on remote server

Hi All,

I have a query related to web services deployment.

I create Web services on local machine and then later on want to
transfer it to (remote) our application server.
I am using apache axis 1.2 and the application server is Tomcat 5.0. I
am aware that the Tomcat manager allows to deploy the WAR files, however
not sure about how it can be done for web services.

Any suggestions? or any web link describing this process?

thanks

--
Dhavalkumar Thakker
Phd candidate,

Re: deploying webservice on remote server

Posted by Mahmut Uludag <ul...@ebi.ac.uk>.
Hi,

On Wed, 2006-07-26 at 09:45 +0100, dhavalkumar thakker wrote:
> I have a query related to web services deployment.
>
> I create Web services on local machine and then later on want to
> transfer it to (remote) our application server.
> I am using apache axis 1.2 and the application server is Tomcat 5.0. I
> am aware that the Tomcat manager allows to deploy the WAR files, however
> not sure about how it can be done for web services.
>
> Any suggestions? or any web link describing this process?

If you are deploying the services for the first time then put your axis
directory under tomcat's 'webapps' directory into a new jar file with an
extension of '.war'. Then you can deploy this archive file to your
production server using the Tomcat manager. If your services doesn't
have external dependencies this should be enough for the services become
available through the production server.

To update the services later you can enable the "enableRemoteAdmin"
option of the axis AdminService. However this has security risk and it
may still require new versions of the service class files to be manually
copied to the related directories on the production server. Therefore it
seems that it might be the best strategy if you replace the whole axis
application in the production server using the Tomcat manager when you
have a new version of the services.

The above suggestions are for axis1.x. Things should be much easier in
axis2 as it has hot deployment support and a web based administration
console.

Mahmut