Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by "Martin.Bergljung" <Ma...@opsera.com> on 2008/03/27 14:07:23 UTC

FETCH command and MIME processing

Hi,

I am trying to use Lotus Notes with Apache James 3.0.

However, in contrast to Outlook and Thunderbird which processes the MIME

message on the client side, the Lotus Notes client require support for
MIME processing

on the server side when fetching a message.

And the FetchCommand does not yet support MIME processing as I
understand it.

I have a question:  is anyone implementing support for MIME processing
in the FetchCommand at the moment or should I try and do it myself?

Cheers,

Martin Bergljung

Re: FETCH command and MIME processing

Posted by Robert Burrell Donkin <ro...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Martin.Bergljung
<Ma...@opsera.com> wrote:
> Hi,

hi martin

>  I am trying to use Lotus Notes with Apache James 3.0.

cool

>  However, in contrast to Outlook and Thunderbird which processes the MIME
>  message on the client side, the Lotus Notes client require support for
>  MIME processing on the server side when fetching a message.
>
>  And the FetchCommand does not yet support MIME processing as I
>  understand it.

the alternative implementation in trunk should support this

>  I have a question:  is anyone implementing support for MIME processing
>  in the FetchCommand at the moment or should I try and do it myself?

up to you

there are no developers actively working on the old IMAP
implementation. i know of numerous issues with that implementation and
am no longer interested in actively maintaining it. but if you want to
take a look, i think that people will be willing to apply patches.

the more complex alternative implementation packaged under
experimental is approaching feature completion (i hope to finish by
apachecon in a couple of weeks time). MIME FETCH should be just about
complete (partial fetches are still ongoing) in that version.

i'm very keen on building up the functional test suite by simulating
more clients so i'd be more than willing to fix any issues you find
that you can simulate into a script. i'm also very keen on getting
more developers involved and it's a good time ATM. so if you do want
to contribute to the new implementation, that'd be great. just let me
know so i don't step on your toes too hard...

unless new developers step up who are willing to maintain the old
implementation, once the new implementation is complete, it is
probably that the old one will be dropped sometime soon.

- robert