Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Michael Kelleher <mj...@gmail.com> on 2011/11/18 20:07:30 UTC

Incubator Status

Is there a plan for promoting this project to top level status?  If so,
is there a projected timeline?

I would like to use this for our client, but will be potentially
difficult with this project not being "officially" release.

Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle a conversation about
using a product that has not yet been officially released yet?

Re: Incubator Status

Posted by Christian Grobmeier <gr...@gmail.com>.
Which project are you speaking about?
This is the general list at which mich projects are discussed

http://www.grobmeier.de
https://www.timeandbill.de

Re: Incubator Status

Posted by Martijn Dashorst <ma...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:07 PM, Michael Kelleher <mj...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there a plan for promoting this project to top level status?  If so, is
> there a projected timeline?

Unless you specify which project you aim to graduate, I can only
assume it is the incubator itself, which is already top level.

> Does anyone have suggestions for how to handle a conversation about using a
> product that has not yet been officially released yet?

There is officially released and officially released. Any podling that
issues a release has officially released the code. The caveat is that
the community surrounding the code may or may not be viable yet while
inside the incubator. Incubation might still falter.

However even top level Apache projects don't have eternal life (see
http://attic.apache.org). If you choose to adopt *any* open source
code, be aware that you may end up having to support it yourself, or
pay someone to do so.

Martijn