Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Paul Libbrecht <pa...@activemath.org> on 2004/09/10 17:11:13 UTC

Re: commons-math and ActiveMath

Le 10 sept. 04, à 05:06, Phil Steitz a écrit :
> I just poked about a bit on the ActiveMath site.  I could not get into
> the CVS, btw.  It does not allow "anonymous" and "guest" wants a
> password. Very interesting stuff.

Fixed, fixed... I find it partially a shame that maven 1.0 was released
without even support for such overrides...

Just to explain this bit, JomeConsole is,  mostly, a wrapping:
- of Jome
	(http://www.activemath.org/projects/Jome/ actually a
       finished project of ESSI/INRIA Nice)
   providing the linear-parser to OpenMath (string)
- and a little evaluator using jdom and walking the jdom tree (of
OpenMath elements) to evaluate the function

Jome is LGPL with main purpose to provide a "formula editor" for
OpenMath. It's quite old, relying on an even older library of INRIA.
Among the errors, I think, Jome is using as core model a linear-syntax
model (which makes, e.g. a "+" a first class citizen).
Jome owners might, I believe, consider a donation at Apache... but it's
main purpose is user-interface!

JomeConsole (including the evaluator) is MPL, could be donated with
pleasure but is really small!

> I have a couple of questions for you.  First, would you be willing to
> contribute / relicense, whatever, the expression parser that you
> mentioned in your mail to commons-math?  I could not find the relevant
> ActiveMath code in the downloads that I grabbed so I don't know
> exactly what we are talking about here.  Could you tell me where the
> relevant classes are (and if you would be willing to contribute them
> to [math])?  If so, we can talk about it on the list. Actually best to
> respond to this question on the list.

We had been exchanging with Mark a few months ago about where to find a
package for formulae and there was nothing finished. One of the trends
was Math-Beans, I think there's a little part in the source-tree
currently.
I remember, at the time, already being annoyed by the dichotomy between
complete generality (e.g. that matrices could be able to have entries
in any ring) and... feasability. Currently, I think, what's in there
considers more or less real numbers only, maybe complex numbers, but no
fancy ring like Z_p or a ring of polynomials.

Mark was clearly stating that there's an amount of packages around that
do formulae... (I remember now of Dautelle's JADE,
http://www.dautelle.com/jade/) and that it was better to expect a
donation from somewhere else...

Now this somewhere else hasn't come yet... maybe we should hunt and
link around before ?

paul