Posted to dev@accumulo.apache.org by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org> on 2015/09/05 23:27:37 UTC

[VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Accumulo Developers,

Please consider the following candidate for Accumulo 1.5.4.

Git Commit:
     12a1041dcbb7f3b10543c305f27ece4b0d65ab9c
Branch:
     1.5.4-rc1

If this vote passes, a gpg-signed tag will be created using:
     git tag -f -m 'Apache Accumulo 1.5.4' -s 1.5.4
12a1041dcbb7f3b10543c305f27ece4b0d65ab9c

Staging repo:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1039
Source (official release artifact):
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1039/org/apache/accumulo/accumulo/1.5.4/accumulo-1.5.4-src.tar.gz
Binary:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1039/org/apache/accumulo/accumulo/1.5.4/accumulo-1.5.4-bin.tar.gz
(Append ".sha1", ".md5", or ".asc" to download the signature/hash for a
given artifact.)

All artifacts were built and staged with:
     mvn release:prepare && mvn release:perform

Signing keys are available at https://www.apache.org/dist/accumulo/KEYS
(Expected fingerprint: ABC8914C675FAD3FA74F39B2D146D62CAB471AE9)

Release notes (in progress) can be found at
https://accumulo.apache.org/release_notes/1.5.4

Please vote one of:
[ ] +1 - I have verified and accept...
[ ] +0 - I have reservations, but not strong enough to vote against...
[ ] -1 - Because..., I do not accept...
... these artifacts as the 1.5.4 release of Apache Accumulo.

This vote will end on Thurs Sep  10 23:00:00 UTC 2015
(Thurs Sep  10 20:00:00 EDT 2015 / Thurs Sep  10 17:00:00 PDT 2015)

Thanks!

P.S. Hint: download the whole staging repo with
     wget -erobots=off -r -l inf -np -nH \

https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheaccumulo-1039/
     # note the trailing slash is needed

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Eric Newton <er...@gmail.com>.
+1

Verified signatures, built, ran unit tests, started everything up and
performed (limited) tests.

Thanks Josh!

-Eric

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@apache.org>.
+1
test/src/test/java/org/apache/accumulo/test/DeleteRowsTest.java has a
botched license header, but I wouldn't consider that a blocker since most
of it is intact.  Otherwise the licenses look good, the tarball contents
look good, and the source tarball matches the git branch.  I verified the
checksums and signatures, built from source and ran mvn verify.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
Sean Busbey wrote:
>> >  So let's deal with the matter of the vote at hand first. After that we can
>>> >>

>> >  I'll likely make time tonight to bash through as many of the issues as I
>> >  can tonight. The assumption was that if 1.5.4 was going to happen "now", I
>> >  would be the one who had to do it, hence my quick self-assign. Hopefully
>> >  that was not interpreted as I'm doing it all (I think not since Christopher
>> >  had asked me how he could help too).
>> >
>> >  I'm not sure why I have to abstain... but I think I've already said my
>> >  peace on the matter. Eric has told me in confidence (that I'm apparently
>> >  going to violate) that he has drafted a number of responses already, but
>> >  hasn't sent them due to being frustrated.
>> >

> I still feel weird taking on work that someone else is actively working on.
> But making a subtask as Christopher has done works well for me.

I see you've already moved forward. You have my blessing (again). I will
catch up tonight with progress as defined.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 5:49 PM, Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Sean Busbey wrote:
>

> So let's deal with the matter of the vote at hand first. After that we can
>> deal with fixing things, hopefully with Josh abstaining. (Josh I'd
>> recommend un-assigning yourself from the issue if you'd prefer someone
>> else
>> take it up.)
>>

> I'll likely make time tonight to bash through as many of the issues as I
> can tonight. The assumption was that if 1.5.4 was going to happen "now", I
> would be the one who had to do it, hence my quick self-assign. Hopefully
> that was not interpreted as I'm doing it all (I think not since Christopher
> had asked me how he could help too).
>
> I'm not sure why I have to abstain... but I think I've already said my
> peace on the matter. Eric has told me in confidence (that I'm apparently
> going to violate) that he has drafted a number of responses already, but
> hasn't sent them due to being frustrated.

I still feel weird taking on work that someone else is actively working on.
But making a subtask as Christopher has done works well for me.

> At risk of suggesting that we vote on a vote.. what do you think needs to
> happen now?

Personally I'd like to see a quick fix of the issues (they are much quicker
fixes then I've seen in other communities) and a new RC go out.

--
Sean

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

Sean Busbey wrote:
> We can't tie the ability to vote -1 on a release to volunteering to fix the
> issue that causes a -1. Presuming a release is valued by the community, the
> work will get done.
>
> At the same time, it is crappy for Josh to be expected to fix everything,
> especially if he doesn't want to fill the role of janitor. We all have
> plenty of other things to do, but so does he.

Thanks.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.
I _think_ we put ourselves in hot-water too if that becomes a norm, but
I understand the point. I just saw that as a assumption a user could do.
Specifically, the user who asked for this release, James, had asked for
a release which is why I was confused at your comment.

dlmarion@comcast.net wrote:
>   Not suggesting encouragement to use the release. But if someone is stuck on 1.5, and needs the fix, there is an alternative. I speak from experience on this issue w/r/t a different Apache project.

RE: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Not releasing is a viable option, but we can't encourage users to use an
unreleased version of our code. That's not an appropriate substitute for
releasing.

On Thu, Sep 10, 2015 at 4:19 PM <dl...@comcast.net> wrote:

> If the critical issues are fixed in 1.5.x, and someone needs them, can't
> they check out the source and build it themselves? Is that a viable option?

RE: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.
 I'm just looking for a way to resolve this given that we have a bunch of -1 votes and no volunteers to fix the issue. Your work is not lost if there is no release. In fact, based on what I read regarding release verification in the responses, the issue raised is the only issue that is keeping this from being a release. Given that, what is the actual difference between someone building this release candidate tag for themselves and an actual released version of the source? If it's a matter of not having binary tarballs for users, that could be fixed easily. Are we going to give less support to users because they are running an RC tag of an unreleased version?

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <jo...@gmail.com>.

dlmarion@comcast.net wrote:
> If the critical issues are fixed in 1.5.x, and someone needs them, can't they check out the source and build it themselves? Is that a viable option?

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by dl...@comcast.net.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Alex Moundalexis <al...@cloudera.com>.
-1 (non-binding)

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
We're responsible for all artifacts we distribute, both source releases and
generated binary artifacts.

It's also required that any binary bits we distribute are generated from
the approved source release. So licensing problems with them are problems
with the source release.

We could abstain from distributing the binary artifacts, but this vote
includes doing so. It'd be good form to also warn downstream users that the
generated binary artifacts aren't suitable for distribution.

--
Sean

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Mike Drob <md...@mdrob.com>.
-1.

Having correct licences is more important than even having code that
compiles (at release time).

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
Josh, the link Sean provided does address the issue of including
LICENSE/NOTICE files in the jars, and other associated artifacts. It also
makes it a point to call out that this expectation does not supersede the
definition of an ASF release as being source. That was a refresher I needed
as well.

However, I don't know where the "willful copyright infringement" comes
from. Omission of the LICENSE/NOTICE files is not necessarily an infringing
activity. They are acknowledgments/disclaimers of the legal status of the
code we use. As such, they do not generally change the rights we have to
redistribute under their respective licenses. They simply communicate them.
So, I think that part was a bit of hyperbole.

But yes, according to the policy cited, we do have an obligation to include
LICENSE/NOTICE files in the binaries.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
I'm not suggesting ignoring the issues. I was suggesting prioritizing them
after careful consideration, like we would any other problem.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.
Michael,

I'd take some time to catch up on some mailing lists like
general@incubator before passing judgement like that. It's rather hasty.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Michael Ridley <mr...@clouderagovt.com>.
-1 (nonbinding)

--
Michael Ridley <mr...@clouderagovt.com> mobile: (571) 438-2420
Solutions Architect

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by John Vines <vi...@apache.org>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Billie Rinaldi <bi...@gmail.com>.
Agreed.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Adam Fuchs <af...@apache.org>.
I agree with Chris on this one. I don't see the pre-existing
licensing/copyright notification issue as a blocker to a bugfix release.
Definitely something we should fix as soon as we can, though.

Sorry I can't give a +1 to the release -- I haven't done a thorough enough
review to officially vote.

Adam

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Josh Elser <el...@apache.org>.

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Sean Busbey <bu...@cloudera.com>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] Accumulo 1.5.4-rc1

Posted by Christopher <ct...@apache.org>.
+1, I've verified:

* GPG/MD5/SHA1
* RPM GPG sigs
* Built sources/javadocs for each jar
* Jars are sealed
* Jar manifests match git commit
* Source tarball matches checkout of git commit
* Jars match those contained in binary tarball lib directory
* Source tarball builds with `mvn clean verify -Dtimeout.factor=2
-Dhadoop.profile=X` with X=1 and X=2.