Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Jon Schneider <js...@apache.org> on 2009/12/10 16:54:37 UTC

IVYDE - Proposal to increase minimum supported Eclipse version to 3.4

I propose to increase the minimum supported Eclipse version to 3.4 to
incorporate the Ivy Resolve Visualizer, subject of IVYDE-208 [1], into the
next release of IvyDE.  The Resolve Visualizer has a dependency on GEF Zest
which requires 3.4+.  The other alternative is to release the Visualizer as
a separate plugin, but I would prefer to keep it in one bundle.

If there is agreement here, I will pose the same question on ivy-user.

Thoughts?
Jon

1. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVYDE-208

Re: IVYDE - Proposal to increase minimum supported Eclipse version to 3.4

Posted by Nicolas Lalevée <ni...@hibnet.org>.
On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 07:09:56 -0600, Jon Schneider <jk...@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> A little warning seems to be good. "This is the last release for
Eclipse
> 3.3. With the next version Eclipse 3.4 or newer is required."
>
>  > This "3.3-Release" without the visualizer - and maybe this year?
>  > Then after finishing the visualizer a release of the new version?
>
> I'd be happy to put together a release with a little guidance.

I think our doc is up to date [1]. There are also the ASF release docs [2]
to get a global overview of how releases should be done.

And I am good with releasing soon.

Before releasing, we should review the opened bugs [3] and discuss what
need to be fixed before releasing.
I think that there is at least one blocker: documentation and screenshot
update with the new features introduced for IvyDE 2.1.0 [4]. I can take
time to write some.

Nicolas

PS: note that for now we tried to be compatible with Eclipse 3.2 [5].

[1]
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/dev/release.html
[2] http://apache.org/dev/#releases
[3]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310640&fixfor=-1&resolution=-1&sorter/field=priority&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=issuetype&sorter/order=ASC
[4]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&&pid=12310640&fixfor=12314066&sorter/field=issuekey&sorter/order=DESC&sorter/field=issuetype&sorter/order=DESC
[5]
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/ivyde/history/latest-milestone/compatibility.html

Re: IVYDE - Proposal to increase minimum supported Eclipse version to 3.4

Posted by Jon Schneider <jk...@gmail.com>.
> A little warning seems to be good. "This is the last release for Eclipse
3.3. With the next version Eclipse 3.4 or newer is required."

 > This "3.3-Release" without the visualizer - and maybe this year?
 > Then after finishing the visualizer a release of the new version?

I'd be happy to put together a release with a little guidance.

Jon

AW: IVYDE - Proposal to increase minimum supported Eclipse version to 3.4

Posted by Ja...@rzf.fin-nrw.de.
A little warning seems to be good. "This is the last release for Eclipse 3.3. With the next version Eclipse 3.4 or newer is required."

This "3.3-Release" without the visualizer - and maybe this year?
Then after finishing the visualizer a release of the new version?

On the other hand: current version is 3.5 and the next is coming in a half year ... And I think IDEs on developer machines are changing faster than JDKs on production servers ... (that's why Ant is relying on JDK 1.4)

Jan

Posted by Maarten Coene <ma...@yahoo.com>.