Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net> on 2003/07/24 10:00:44 UTC

[users@httpd] enable-mods-shared=most and all

Greetings,

the manual is not clear about the definition of "most" and "all" for the
option enable-mods-shared.

Does "all" mean everything including experimental? or just all in "base"

Which modules are "most" list? Maybe the docs should specify that...

Thanks
  Gustavo Baratto - Programming and Technical Support
  GBaratto@SUPERB.NET * (604) 638-2525 ext. 408

  Technical support web-site: http://support.superb.net
  Superb Internet Corp. "Ahead of the Rest"

Re: [users@httpd] enable-mods-shared=most and all

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Gustavo A. Baratto wrote:

> oh boy... I wouldn't have noticed the difference even if I have read the
> docs 1000 times. Well, at least it is documented... no manual can
> prevent stupidity :
>
> I think it would be better if configure died if an option is not valid
> or it doesn't apply to the platform, like in this case, or when prefork
> mpm is used automatically instead of worker when configure can't find
> threads... it could be dangerous...

It would be nicer, but it can't be accomplished in the current build
system.  Apache passes the configure command line through to all the
libraries which do their own configuration.  So there is no way for any
particular part of the configuration to know what --enable options are
meaningful.  That means you can --enable-incredible-hulk if you'd like,
and configure won't complain.  Very nasty.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] enable-mods-shared=most and all

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
oh boy... I wouldn't have noticed the difference even if I have read the
docs 1000 times. Well, at least it is documented... no manual can
prevent stupidity :

I think it would be better if configure died if an option is not valid
or it doesn't apply to the platform, like in this case, or when prefork
mpm is used automatically instead of worker when configure can't find
threads... it could be dangerous...

Anyways, rectifying my error:
./configure --enable-modules=most
----
BUILTIN_LIBS=' modules/aaa/mod_access.la modules/aaa/mod_auth.la
modules/aaa/mod_auth_anon.la modules/aaa/mod_auth_dbm.la
modules/aaa/mod_auth_digest.la modules/filters/mod_ext_filter.la
modules/filters/mod_include.la modules/loggers/mod_log_config.la
modules/metadata/mod_env.la modules/metadata/mod_expires.la
modules/metadata/mod_headers.la modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.la
modules/http/mod_http.la modules/http/mod_mime.la
modules/dav/main/mod_dav.la modules/generators/mod_status.la
modules/generators/mod_autoindex.la modules/generators/mod_asis.la
modules/generators/mod_info.la modules/generators/mod_cgi.la
modules/dav/fs/mod_dav_fs.la modules/mappers/mod_vhost_alias.la
modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.la modules/mappers/mod_dir.la
modules/mappers/mod_imap.la modules/mappers/mod_actions.la
modules/mappers/mod_speling.la modules/mappers/mod_userdir.la
modules/mappers/mod_alias.la modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.la
modules/mappers/mod_so.la'
----

./configure --enable-modules=all
----
BUILTIN_LIBS=' modules/aaa/mod_access.la modules/aaa/mod_auth.la
modules/aaa/mod_auth_anon.la modules/aaa/mod_auth_dbm.la
modules/aaa/mod_auth_digest.la modules/filters/mod_ext_filter.la
modules/filters/mod_include.la modules/loggers/mod_log_config.la
modules/metadata/mod_env.la modules/metadata/mod_mime_magic.la
modules/metadata/mod_cern_meta.la modules/metadata/mod_expires.la
modules/metadata/mod_headers.la modules/metadata/mod_usertrack.la
modules/metadata/mod_unique_id.la modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.la
modules/http/mod_http.la modules/http/mod_mime.la
modules/dav/main/mod_dav.la modules/generators/mod_status.la
modules/generators/mod_autoindex.la modules/generators/mod_asis.la
modules/generators/mod_info.la modules/generators/mod_cgi.la
modules/dav/fs/mod_dav_fs.la modules/mappers/mod_vhost_alias.la
  modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.la modules/mappers/mod_dir.la
modules/mappers/mod_imap.la modules/mappers/mod_actions.la
modules/mappers/mod_speling.la modules/mappers/mod_userdir.la
modules/mappers/mod_alias.la modules/mappers/mod_rewrite.la
modules/mappers/mod_so.la
----

Thank you very much for your help...

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by "Gustavo A. Baratto" <gb...@superb.net>.
If someone is interested to know which modules come with
enable-mods="all", and "most", here it goes:

--enable-mods=all or --enable-mods=most (static build) do not work. Both
give you the same modules... exactly the same if you just run ./configure

But if you are using --enable-mods-shared=all, you get mime_magic,
cern_meta, usertrack, and unique_id on top of what you get if you use
--enable-mods-shared=most

I'm really surprised these options don't work or don't have a definite
meaning. They would save everybody lots of time building apache.

See results below:
I ran ./configure --enable-mods=most I got this:
--
BUILTIN_LIBS=' modules/aaa/mod_access.la modules/aaa/mod_auth.la
modules/filters/mod_include.la modules/loggers/mod_log_config.la
modules/metadata/mod_env.la modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.la
modules/http/mod_http.la modules/http/mod_mime.la
modules/generators/mod_status.la modules/generators/mod_autoindex.la
modules/generators/mod_asis.la modules/generators/mod_cgi.la
modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.la modules/mappers/mod_dir.la
modules/mappers/mod_imap.la modules/mappers/mod_actions.la
modules/mappers/mod_userdir.la modules/mappers/mod_alias.la
modules/mappers/mod_so.la'
--

then after make distclean and I ran ./configure --enable-mods=all :
--
BUILTIN_LIBS=' modules/aaa/mod_access.la modules/aaa/mod_auth.la
modules/filters/mod_include.la modules/loggers/mod_log_config.la
modules/metadata/mod_env.la modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.la
modules/http/mod_http.la modules/http/mod_mime.la
modules/generators/mod_status.la modules/generators/mod_autoindex.la
modules/generators/mod_asis.la modules/generators/mod_cgi.la
modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.la modules/mappers/mod_dir.la
modules/mappers/mod_imap.la modules/mappers/mod_actions.la
modules/mappers/mod_userdir.la modules/mappers/mod_alias.la
modules/mappers/mod_so.la'
--

Then I ran just ./configure :
--
BUILTIN_LIBS=' modules/aaa/mod_access.la modules/aaa/mod_auth.la
modules/filters/mod_include.la modules/loggers/mod_log_config.la
modules/metadata/mod_env.la modules/metadata/mod_setenvif.la
modules/http/mod_http.la modules/http/mod_mime.la
modules/generators/mod_status.la modules/generators/mod_autoindex.la
modules/generators/mod_asis.la modules/generators/mod_cgi.la
modules/mappers/mod_negotiation.la modules/mappers/mod_dir.la
modules/mappers/mod_imap.la modules/mappers/mod_actions.la
modules/mappers/mod_userdir.la modules/mappers/mod_alias.la
modules/mappers/mod_so.la'
--

Now testing the share modules...
I tried ./configure --enable-mods-shared=all:

Then ./configure --enable-mods-shared=most :
--
DSO_MODULES=' access auth auth_anon auth_dbm auth_digest ext_filter
include log_config env expires headers setenvif mime dav status

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.