Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Antoine DESSAIGNE <an...@gmail.com> on 2022/09/05 08:25:34 UTC

Jakarta migration

Hello everyone,

I just noticed that the Jira tickets related to the Jakarta migration now
have the 4.0 expected fix version. I couldn't find any blog post or
conversation regarding when this 4.0 could be released. I'm not asking for
a definitive date but rather a quarter/semester of when you hope that will
happen.

Also, I'm a bit worried to include this dependency change with other major
changes like the change of URI. Wouldn't it be better to follow the Jetty
approach and have a 4.x identical to 3.x but using the Jakarta namespace
instead of the Javax namespace and then a 5.x branch for new developments?

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Have a nice day,

Antoine.

Re: Jakarta migration

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
Hi

Yeah Camel v4 is more of a "soft" upgrade with primary focus on the javax
-> jakarta migration, which frankly affects a lot.
Camel has many components that are using JEE spec JARs and they are all
needed to be upgraded / migrated.
The Quarkus team has been working on this as they are even more affected.
And they react to various projects for them to release jakarta releases etc.

The URI thing is an internal complexity because we have used java.net.URI
to parse since Camel was created, but we don't do that as much anymore.
From the end user point of view the goal is that they are not affected.

Claus Ibsen
-----------------
http://davsclaus.com @davsclaus