Posted to users@flex.apache.org by Astraport <vo...@gmail.com> on 2015/02/02 17:50:39 UTC

Is it possible to use Stage3D and Flex?

I think it dramatically improved the performance of Flex apps and especially
on mobile devices. Is that possible?

Re: Is it possible to use Stage3D and Flex?

Posted by jude <fl...@gmail.com>.
There are a few threads on this in the archives. There were a few reasons
it wasn't pursued at the time (I think one of them was that there were
still parts of Flex that were being donated). I'm all for it.

What might be more feasible is to try to add support for it in FlexJS. Om
has been working on a graphics library for JS (for canvas or SVG). It might
be possible to add a GPU path as well but I don't know. With that
experience we can see how likely it will be to rejigger it in the Flex SDK.

@Gary - I think that's a great a idea but at the same time I'm not sure it
would help developers adopt it. If there was a company that could work on
stuff like this building up and supporting Flex it would be great.

I use StackOverflow often and I use it to get analytics on the developer
community. It could be totally off base but there are 30k users following
the Flash tag and 22k following the Flex tag. If all of them donated 100 -
1000 a year that's 2-22 million a year. That would cover the cost of a good
size team of developers. They could work on the SDK and FlexJS,
documentation, examples, marketing, provide technical support, etc.

Posted by Gary Yang <fl...@gmail.com>.